Top Quality Reproduction parts, anyone?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StefansBus

Reaction score
Hi all

Do you agree that the bay window community is in dire need of some top quality reproduction parts? I think it's a shame that many parts are no longer available in OEM quality. We all have countless stories to tell. Isn't it time to do something about it?

My idea is for VW clubs, online communities and respected parts retailers to join forces with a view to making those parts available again.

How? For now it's jut an idea and I will need your input. We need to determine which parts are most desperately needed and what the likely worldwide demand might be. Then we need to contact manufacturers and get some quotes. Finally, we could work together with trusted parts shops worldwide and convince them to invest in the project. The parts could come with a "seal of approval" such as "top quality - endorsed by (insert name of club or community). It really could be a win/win.

There is so much cheaply made crap out there and I think that needs to change.

By the way, I am a member of the largest German Bay Window Club (IG T2) and online Community and have made the suggestion there as well. I have also posted this on the samba.com

What do you all think? Achievable or completely unrealistic?

If you think it's a good idea, what are the parts you think we need most (that are not currently available in OEM quality)?

Looking forward to hearing from many of you

Stefan

It worked for the MG owners group, they manufacture a lot of parts. Can't see why it would not work for the VW community. Need to get the USA clubs on board to really drive demand.
Ideally place production AWAY from China as the quality drops after the first few runs.

Sent from my GX64 SatCom phone using Tapatalk

That is great input. I have written to the MG Owners Club asking to speak to someone to learn from their experience.

What parts do you guys need the most? I'm after the essentials, not "nice to have" stuff. Basically parts that every Bay Owner needs at some point and that are not currently available in good quality or at all. Steering boxes come to mind. But also CV joint boots (are there any really good ones on the (market?), ball joints (there may be one kind (Heyd) which is really good, but not sure.

Input and ideas most welcome.

The MGOC is a good idea - I've been buying from them for decades now and the quality of parts is uniformly good and the prices fair.

StefansBus said:
Hi all

Do you agree that the bay window community is in dire need of some top quality reproduction parts? I think it's a shame that many parts are no longer available in OEM quality. We all have countless stories to tell. Isn't it time to do something about it?

My idea is for VW clubs, online communities and respected parts retailers to join forces with a view to making those parts available again.

How? For now it's jut an idea and I will need your input. We need to determine which parts are most desperately needed and what the likely worldwide demand might be. Then we need to contact manufacturers and get some quotes. Finally, we could work together with trusted parts shops worldwide and convince them to invest in the project. The parts could come with a "seal of approval" such as "top quality - endorsed by (insert name of club or community). It really could be a win/win.

There is so much cheaply made crap out there and I think that needs to change.

By the way, I am a member of the largest German Bay Window Club (IG T2) and online Community and have made the suggestion there as well. I have also posted this on the samba.com

What do you all think? Achievable or completely unrealistic?

If you think it's a good idea, what are the parts you think we need most (that are not currently available in OEM quality)?

Looking forward to hearing from many of you

Stefan

This is great idea and it is worth trying my 68 bay project experience approved that there are shortage is in Indicator stalk, brake reservoir bottle; both top and bottom, cab door handle. Engine hanging mount, fuel sender unit, is just few from the list.
last few year UK market saw lots of USA import parts and now is drying out I like to live with the hope that few years time we will be be able to get some parts for our loved vw's without breaking our bank. Yes I am up for the it... hope to progress it further

Quality fit body panels, tin wear, rear lenses, cab doors, slider doors, rear door, rear apron, front and rear bumpers, heat exchangers, fuel tanks (in ethanol resistant plastic please), steering wheels, interior/exterior door handles.

StefansBus said:
That is great input. I have written to the MG Owners Club asking to speak to someone to learn from their experience.

What parts do you guys need the most? I'm after the essentials, not "nice to have" stuff. Basically parts that every Bay Owner needs at some point and that are not currently available in good quality or at all. Steering boxes come to mind. But also CV joint boots (are there any really good ones on the (market?), ball joints (there may be one kind (Heyd) which is really good, but not sure.

Input and ideas most welcome.

I have been working on steering boxes for three years and its not an easy task, The pins are easy enough but finding someone willing to make the worms is nigh on impossible, (but I am still working on it).

Ball Joint Boots and Ball Joints we have already forced the manufacturer in Germany to change the quality of the rubber used and we believe we provide excellent quality ones of these now.

I promise you we are working on this already!

Vwtrali said:
This is great idea and it is worth trying my 68 bay project experience approved that there are shortage is in Indicator stalk, brake reservoir bottle; both top and bottom, cab door handle. Engine hanging mount, fuel sender unit, is just few from the list.
last few year UK market saw lots of USA import parts and now is drying out I like to live with the hope that few years time we will be be able to get some parts for our loved vw's without breaking our bank. Yes I am up for the it... hope to progress it further

Some of these are already available, you juts need to have an ask about or take a look, for example,

Fuel Sender:

https://www.vwheritage.com/shop/211919051/fuel-sender-unit-68-2-73-tube-type/#esp_cf=ESP_Rational_vehicleAliases&esp_filter_ESP_Rational_vehicleAliases=TYPE%202%20BAY&esp_pg=2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes I know its out of stock but its a German made good quality item.

jonboylaw said:
Quality fit body panels, tin wear, rear lenses, cab doors, slider doors, rear door, rear apron, front and rear bumpers, heat exchangers, fuel tanks (in ethanol resistant plastic please), steering wheels, interior/exterior door handles.

Schofields and Autocraft are making more and more baywindow panels here in the UK, and we stock all that become available, the panels are being worked on.

We have pushed for and got top quality front cab arches:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=68695" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cab Doors are in the pipeline,

Tailgates and slider are available from VW Brazil still through us, (yes I know not 100% accurate for an early but they are a very expensive part to tool up for so until they are un available they are not likely to get re made)

Front bumpers we have already had made, and rears are coming soon:

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=67553" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A lot of the parts mentioned are either already available or being worked on.

I understand the frustration but the easiest thing to do is if you talk to your suppliers like myself and then we get your feedback and also may be able to point you at a product already made.

Really hope this helps,

All my best,

Alex

We have been working hard over the last few years on making OEM quality products.

Soon we will have the bay window door handles in stock made to the same quality as the OEM quality with the only difference being the keys will not have the VW logo apart from that they are incidental in look and quality.

Also if anyone is looking for any items feel free to contact us and we can give honest advise on what products are the best quality.

Don't forget we have the NEW discount code: EB2016 for Early Bay users valid until the end of 2016 and will give you a 10% discount with custom & commercial, for all parts except klassic fab panels and NOS parts. Enter the code EB2016 when buying products online. This code will ONLY work for ONLINE orders.

Thanks

I was wondering what will happen to the presses and fabricating machines over in Brazil now they're no longer making buses and beetles.

slow-lane-Matt said:
I was wondering what will happen to the presses and fabricating machines over in Brazil now they're no longer making buses and beetles.

Most products are not made by VW they are made my companies commissioned by VW so when VW stops production sometime the factories carry on making them but just have to remove the logo, Or VW destroys the tooling

If the suppliers know the quality of the parts why not have a quality rating, e.g 1 is top quality through to 4 being made down to a low standard/price.

I know that it would require some work and need standards agreeing but there could be benefits for companies that did this in terms of increased sales and reduced returns, as the quality you were buying was obvious

chad said:
If the suppliers know the quality of the parts why not have a quality rating, e.g 1 is top quality through to 4 being made down to a low standard/price.

I know that it would require some work and need standards agreeing but there could be benefits for companies that did this in terms of increased sales and reduced returns, as the quality you were buying was obvious

We do exactly this,

If you look at parts on our website there are 4 qualities:

Reproduction,

Good Quality

Top Quality

Genuine VW

Sorry Alex - I've seen these individually loads of times it's never 'twigged' - a sign of old age I guess

chad said:
Sorry Alex - I've seen these individually loads of times it's never 'twigged' - a sign of old age I guess

No worries at all,

There is a common misbelief that us as suppliers don't care,

as you can see on this thread both Jon from C&C and I have both spoken up,

We both own Earlybay's ;)

We both therefore want exactly the same as you do, the best possible parts and as much information as is available about the parts.

As Jon has said you can speak or email us and we will be honest with you about parts.

It's a small scene and we are all working together to make it better,

Your feedback is always welcome on parts and also bits you are struggling to find,

[email protected] is my direct email address.

Hope this helps,

All my best,

Alex

Totally agree Alex,

We as suppliers all want to sell the best quality products and if what we sell has an issue or is not the best, unless people tell us its hard for us to know. Both Heritage and C&C are always looking to make new products and improve products to expand our ranges so information like this is great for us.

As Alex said we both have Earlybays, this is my first as I have had a split-screen panel, various beetle and a trekker, so having an early bay now is great for me as I get to learn so much and fill in the gaps between my beetle and bus knowledge.

I am finding that my 68 has many one year only bits so I am already on the case for bits I may need that you cant already get :)

[email protected] is my direct email address.

I have recently found out how impossible it is to get the front tinware (over the gearbox) for a 1970 twin port! Without taking out a second mortgage...

Hi Jon, hi Alex

Thanks to both of you for coming on here and telling your side of the story.

It's good to know that you are actively trying to make more quality parts available.

To what extent do you partner with retailers in other countries to make new reproduction project more financially viable?

Do you cooperate with any VW clubs?

I think doing both of those things could really help botht in judging demand more accurately and in making new projects financially more attractive.

While I have your attention: Why are there no early bay front brake drums available at most dealers?

Why doesn't there appear to be a top quality stock distributor (SVDA) available?

What about basics such as OEM quality (or better) stock heater boxes and exhausts?

Early Bay steering box? edit: sorry, you did explain about the steering box above, Alex

Cheers

Stefan

Yes please. I´m ready to pay for quality parts. I´m purchasing body panels for resto of my ´68 bay and fotunately I completely avoided Klokkerholm panels which are really crap. If people stop buying these, it will force the manufacturer to increase quality.

Latest posts