Track Rod replacement

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magoo

Reaction score
Discovered today that I have a cracked near-side track rod. Looks like it might have been over tightened. It also looks as if it is a different length to the right hand side and is a different style.

I have a standard stock set up so what length should that track rod be and what part am I looking for? Is it normal to have one fixed and one adjustable?

One fixed and one adjustable is the standard setup from VW, the tracking is set by using the adjustable track rod to bring the wheels in line with each other, and then adjusting the drag link to set the steering wheel straight. What this can mean is that the central 'notch' in the steering box then doesn't line up with the wheels / steering wheel in the straight ahead position, and you effectively can turn a tighter circle in one direction than the other.

But anyway, no harm in changing to two adjustable rods in future.

Where is the crack? I can't see anything in your picture, so it may be something that it supposed to be there.

On the left fixed track rod, you can see a horizontal white line between the rod end and the crack ends where that cable is in the background.

Yeah the alignment is tricky because my driver's seat is sitting at an angle so keeping the steering wheel straight might feel odd. Just ordered a Meyle adjustable to make things easier.

magoo said:
On the left fixed track rod, you can see a horizontal white line between the rod end and the crack ends where that cable is in the background.

Yeah the alignment is tricky because my driver's seat is sitting at an angle so keeping the steering wheel straight might feel odd. Just ordered a Meyle adjustable to make things easier.

That looks like a very straight crack if we`re looking at the same thing, are you sure that`s not how it was pressed onto the joint ? Have a look at the other end of the fixed track rod and see if it looks the same, might be sposed to be :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I`ll check my old one later if I get a chance :mrgreen:

ozziedog said:
magoo said:

That looks like a very straight crack if we`re looking at the same thing, are you sure that`s not how it was pressed onto the joint ? Have a look at the other end of the fixed track rod and see if it looks the same, might be sposed to be :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I`ll check my old one later if I get a chance :mrgreen:

Agreed, doesn't look like a crack to me - it is mild steel that is crimped around the ball joint so would be unusual to crack. If it is though, I definitely wouldn't be driving it in case the joint separates!

Latest posts