type 4 crossover gearbox info- desperate!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morganrue

Reaction score
Hello all...

I took a day off work (in snow) to re-fit my rebuilt pancake engine to my 1972 crossover. Engine was turnkey from the VW engine company, and came with the clutch fitted to the flywheel. This cost me more than I could afford but we wanted reliable hassle-free travel...

So, I have trial fitted the engine 7 times today, and it behaves like the flywheel is too big for the bell-housing. Goes in to the point where the starter teeth are just no longer visible- then no further. Turning the engine on the alt. pulley makes a grating sound and the bellhousing has alloy swarf in it- I have relieved the bell housing as much as I dare by grinder, with no success.

PLEASE tell me what's going on! I even test fitted without the clutch fitted, same problem.

The bus is a genuine type 4 engined model, so why will it not take the replacement engine? Did the make a bigger flywheel thats only a TAD bigger?

Save my sanity- let me know what I now need to buy or do. Not easy from Luxembourg...

Morgan

Hi there, do you have the original there to compare? It may be that you have the smaller bell housing. Two reasons possibly, one is that there was so much transitional stuff going on during that period as changes to the vans happened on almost a monthly basis usually with the older alternatives still available too and the others reason is that because these vans are quite an age, there have been a few changes to them over the years and during that time there were periods when these vans were not ‘’’ valued’’’ as they are today and sometimes people kept them on the road on a shoestring budget, so if it fitted and it worked it was the answer.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, three five or six rib box ? :mrgreen:

Is the clutch aligned? If not you’ll have quite a struggle.

Update! Thanks for the suggestions. today I removed the bellhousing from the box and bench-fitted it to the engine. I painted inside it and when assembled, there was a couple of areas scraped which needed gently relieving with a grinder. Once it fitted, I reassembled the box, and the engine went in- but with a struggle! It was the correct flywheel/clutch assembly, but why the old one fitted and the new one didn't, I'll never know. Moral- steer clear of crossovers! M

Latest posts