Tyre size 31/2 dropped spindles

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tbj33p

Reaction score
I'm new to the group and need some advice I've got a 1969 dormobile on 14 inch steel rims and I have just fitted transporterhaus 3 1/2 dropped spindles and the top of the tyre rubs on the inner wheel arch with no gap does anyone know what profile tyres I should get to be able to drive its got a standard beam with 185 tyres im fitting 2 1/2 adjustable spring plate on the rear cheers

Did you also fit new shocks/dampers. Coil overs are a good option to get some clearance back.

Tyre wise - grab a cuppa and read through this thread

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7365

Are you sure it is a standard beam - that looks incredibly low at the front just for dropped spindles; especially as you are already running a lower profile tyre than stock.

It may have adjusters welded in place, or it may have been cut, turned and welded in the past - some photos of the centre area of each beam tube would help out!

It doesn’t look as though lower profile tyres are going to help your plight without making other changes as you’re going to end up with something resembling a rubber band to gain any arch clearance, and subsequently it will give you more rake and bring the front even closer to the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All of that above ^^^ plus your front bumper will probably ground if you get any lower without lowering the rear as the bumper is past the front axle. Lowering the rear will raise your front bumper a tad. That's the same set up I used to run more or less.
Ozziedog,,, addictive though.

Thanks for all your advice i think my first thing ill do is new adjustable shocks see if that helps then new tyres 🤞that sorts it out

Not sure if you’re aware, but shocks alone will make no difference to the static height - they will just change how the suspension behaves over bumps when in motion.

As Clem has hinted at, coilovers will help to raise the height. The basic options that are quite commonly used on this forum mean that the stiffer you make them (assuming no change of springs) the more they will raise the suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk