Ultimate Storage Research

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

easy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay guys here goes!

If there was an opportunity to store your van in a heated pristine location, where your van will always be fully charged with battery and fuel, servicing and MOTs would be kept of each van or car on record, so that its all carried out in perfect time and any checks etc needed before hand so that you basically can just hop in and drive. Of course a valet / cleaning would be an option and could be included in some packages. A security camera on your van 24/7 that you can check from your phone etc. All fully insured and with peace of mind that its "out of harms way" as part of the service. What would you think?

Of course its then down to a matter of price and of course you would indeed pay for the service, MOT, work etc etc, but you would get a discounted rate as you are using the service. It would be sold as packages and of course long term i.e winter storage would be the best price as it would involve a few months minimum storage, say 3 - 6 months, of course you could have a permanent spot and that would of course be again at a discounted rate, as it would involve a 12 month contract.

The idea of the service would be for you, peace and mind over your pride and joy, plus the knowledge that it will be ready for you to just jump in and drive, MOT`d, clean, fully fueled and ready to go!

If you could let me know what you think prices for such a service would be? i know there is a number of these about and i have looked and visited some and they charge £500+ a month :shock: for this situation it would be more like £100 - £150, but of course it depends on so many things, which is open for discussion.

I would be really interested in your feedback on any part of this :mrgreen: 8)

Thanks all 8)

Location would be key,

Would need to be within 30 mins maybe an hour tops from home.

Currently pay £60 a month for a basic garage with no elec, its very dry and safe, but no real security, maybe this helps give an idea of cost???

Also a big draw back of my current situation is that I am not allowed to wrok on my van there.

Maybe you could add a rent a workshop facility???

Just some thoughts for you.

p.s. I am building a garage at my new gaff so wont need it in the future ;)

Alex VW Heritage said:
Location would be key,

Would need to be within 30 mins maybe an hour tops from home.

Currently pay £60 a month for a basic garage with no elec, its very dry and safe, but no real security, maybe this helps give an idea of cost???

Also a big draw back of my current situation is that I am not allowed to wrok on my van there.

Maybe you could add a rent a workshop facility???

Just some thoughts for you.

p.s. I am building a garage at my new gaff so wont need it in the future ;)

Cheers dood, location is perfect for the south west/m4/m5, so you could always drop your van off there if traveling down from up north etc.

There will be a working option, but this is much more difficult due to insurances etc, but all can be sorted :mrgreen: basics first then additional services.

easy said:
..... location is perfect for the south west/m4/m5

No use to me then :(

What about liability such as the building gets flooded or engulfed by a fire?
Also, broken into and the vehicles damaged?

gninnam said:
easy said:
..... location is perfect for the south west/m4/m5

No use to me then :(

What about liability such as the building gets flooded or engulfed by a fire?
Also, broken into and the vehicles damaged?

Yup location is of course only relevant to a few but who knows ;)

As for fire/flooding etc, that`s why i mentioned that they would all be fully insured in my original message, as it would be a peace of mind situation. Always covered and ready to go 8) :mrgreen:

easy said:
Yup location is of course only relevant to a few but who knows ;)

As for fire/flooding etc, that`s why i mentioned that they would all be fully insured in my original message, as it would be a peace of mind situation. Always covered and ready to go 8) :mrgreen:

Sweet :D :oops:

I store my van in a large airing barn 3 miles up the road. The barn is very dry, vermon free, CCTV cameras and locked up gate and barn. I pay 25 per month and can come and go as I please. My pickup is always accessible. However, it is still a major ball ache having to drive up the road, leave my car, unlock barns and gates, get my pickup out and then have to do it all again to drop it off. As a result, I hardly used my pickup this summer. I think having storage 30mins - 1 hour away isn't going to work for most people as I can't even handle 5 mins up the road.

On the other hand the additional service you're considering offering does have some appeal to the right market. Are VW enthusiasts the right market? I don't think so. We're all a bunch of tight fisted bastards, particularly the early bay mob. Why do you think we all work on our own bus'? The split screen boys tend to be a tad older and probably have more disposable income but again probably not the ideal target. Not trying to crush your dreams but I think the only way it would work would be to target the higher end classic car market. Porsches, Ferraris and so on. I can see a need and want for that type of service with them.

You can make anything work if you put your mind to it. Good luck with the venture.

aspro said:
I store my van in a large airing barn 3 miles up the road. The barn is very dry, vermon free, CCTV cameras and locked up gate and barn. I pay 25 per month and can come and go as I please. My pickup is always accessible. However, it is still a major ball ache having to drive up the road, leave my car, unlock barns and gates, get my pickup out and then have to do it all again to drop it off. As a result, I hardly used my pickup this summer. I think having storage 30mins - 1 hour away isn't going to work for most people as I can't even handle 5 mins up the road.

On the other hand the additional service you're considering offering does have some appeal to the right market. Are VW enthusiasts the right market? I don't think so. We're all a bunch of tight fisted bastards, particularly the early bay mob. Why do you think we all work on our own bus'? The split screen boys tend to be a tad older and probably have more disposable income but again probably not the ideal target. Not trying to crush your dreams but I think the only way it would work would be to target the higher end classic car market. Porsches, Ferraris and so on. I can see a need and want for that type of service with them.

You can make anything work if you put your mind to it. Good luck with the venture.

No dreams crushed dood :lol: , this service is open to all types not just VW owners, who as you have said we can be tight as a budgies arse. There is however lots of people willing to pair a fair price for a decent service, just looking at options and prices as this will be open to all.

Thanks for your points though they are all perfect ones and i have got everything logged, as it wont be a blind venture and it wont just be me ;)

Sounds a great idea as I'm only yeovil but would my van even get me there hmmm

I pay £35 a month for a garage but the going rate more like £50 so what would I pay for a full care package -

12*£35 for space in a large storage warehouse = £420 - this compares about right with the market for light industrial/warehouse space at £2sqft assuming 12*14ft per van (allowing for 'road' space too) including rates, energy and business premises insurance (essential for lots of fully laden with petrol and gas vans)
mot £40 + 1.5 hours labour @ £25 ph = £77.50
basic service £100
basic clean/valet 4 times a year £10 a time = £40
full insurance on and off site inc breakdown = £180
cost of cctv surveillance say £5pm
cost of admin service including sorting my £0 tax disc say £25

total = 847.50

add your margin at 20% = 169.50

=£1017/12 = £84.75 per month

which compared with what I pay current and have to sort myself = £35*12 (garage) + £40 (mot) + £30 (service oil, filter etc) + £180 insurance = £670/12 = £55.83 per month

so would I pay you £30 per month to put my van in a more secure storage, service it, sort the MOT and tax disc, renew the insurance, clean it 4 times, let me see my van on CCTV via babymonitor app on phone and provide friendly banter when picking up and dropping off? err YES!!!

would I pay between £100 and £150 - probably if the location was convenient, the service excellent and the reviews all good

what I really like about the model is that I'm paying for the garage space so you should be able to offer cheap labour rates for doing minor work - £25ph for doing brakes, sorting the odd rust spot, changing an exhaust, dial in the back left barrel on the forties that started backfiring on the way home etc if that was included in a package then yeah somewhere in the £100+ region makes sense to me

Where do I sign up? and good luck with the venture

and yes I'm a tight arse vw owner

aspro said:

Ha - I like this. I'm in a similar position. From the outside it seems ideal, but it's bloody hard work. Just by having the car in a garage at your house, means you can easily pop in and do the odd bit, and all tools are present.

However, I think your plan does have some legs, and will attract some people.

Here's the bad bit though - have you researched the rateable value you will have to pay for business rates? Many ideal Caravan Storage places simply can't operate, due to the prohibitive cost. The more cars, the more area you'll need and the more rates you'll be charged. Google it - it's your main stumbling block.

Also, Insurance wise, you'd have to cover the building only and cover your Business Interruption costs - covering the costs of the vehicles etc would also be prohibitive. You'd have to ensure all customers sign a disclaimer and ensure they have their own insurance in place. Essentially, I think so long as they notify their insurers of a separate storage address, then they'd be OK (I do/have).

See http://www.cassoa.co.uk and http://www.barrsandco.com/caravan_storage.php

Hope this helps pal - best of luck.

Steve

weeboll said:
I pay £35 a month for a garage but the going rate more like £50 so what would I pay for a full care package -

12*£35 for space in a large storage warehouse = £420 - this compares about right with the market for light industrial/warehouse space at £2sqft assuming 12*14ft per van (allowing for 'road' space too) including rates, energy and business premises insurance (essential for lots of fully laden with petrol and gas vans)
mot £40 + 1.5 hours labour @ £25 ph = £77.50
basic service £100
basic clean/valet 4 times a year £10 a time = £40
full insurance on and off site inc breakdown = £180
cost of cctv surveillance say £5pm
cost of admin service including sorting my £0 tax disc say £25

total = 847.50

add your margin at 20% = 169.50

=£1017/12 = £84.75 per month

which compared with what I pay current and have to sort myself = £35*12 (garage) + £40 (mot) + £30 (service oil, filter etc) + £180 insurance = £670/12 = £55.83 per month

so would I pay you £30 per month to put my van in a more secure storage, service it, sort the MOT and tax disc, renew the insurance, clean it 4 times, let me see my van on CCTV via babymonitor app on phone and provide friendly banter when picking up and dropping off? err YES!!!

would I pay between £100 and £150 - probably if the location was convenient, the service excellent and the reviews all good

what I really like about the model is that I'm paying for the garage space so you should be able to offer cheap labour rates for doing minor work - £25ph for doing brakes, sorting the odd rust spot, changing an exhaust, dial in the back left barrel on the forties that started backfiring on the way home etc if that was included in a package then yeah somewhere in the £100+ region makes sense to me

Where do I sign up? and good luck with the venture

and yes I'm a tight arse vw owner

Not sure where you get your figures for industrial units from but I wish I could rent a light industrial unit for £2sq ft, I'm currently paying more than double that and thats cheap, also not convinced you can offer cheap labour rates as a decent mechanic is going to be wanting a decent salary so by the time you add employers contributions, insurance etc £25 an hour isnt going to cover costs.

Its a good idea Ez as long as you can find the right space and enough people interested at the right price to make it work and from the posts above I'm not sure thats going to be easy, I live 10 miles away from my unit where my bus is also stored and its a right pain in the ass when coming home from a show when the unit is past home adding nearly an hour onto the journey time by the time the gates are unlocked, unit opened, et etc.

Trouble is as I see from your perspective is the unlikleyhood of long term contracts, from the VW camper crowd. Most would like storage from November through till March but otherwise will be wanting to come and go, if at all through the 'season'. Again, my unit is 15 miles from home and coming and going is a PITA, and why the Ghia does so few miles usually.
Im assuming if its secure storage that you guarantee you wont be letting customers have self access?

Thanks all for your input, really appreciated and any more greatfully received good or bad.

As i have said this is not just aimed at the VW crowd and other VERY expensive car owners are in, so insurances have been studied to death and are possible.

You are correct that it wouldnt be access for the owner to just go up and let themselves in, but the good thing is that during most hours of 7.30am till 7.30pm there will be someone there, and access outside this time can be arranged.

People working on their own bus - arrangements can be made to use a local "safe" area, but on the actual site will be restricted due to the insurance.

Believe me the only stumbling block i have at the moment is working out the correct prices for packages as it should be affordable, to most people who require a decent reliable service.

Dont worry though the more input you lovely peeps give me the better and its more fuel to the old thought process. I know it can be done but the prices i have seen are horrific! but i believe i can do it for a realistic price for the regular classic car owner, not just the elite where cash is no object 8) :mrgreen:

Latest posts