Underneath Squeaking

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magoo

Reaction score
I drove back in torrential rain and towards the end of the journey I heard some squeaking coming from underneath. I've taken the van out a couple of times since, it starts quiet, then gets really loud and a bit worrying...squeaking from all four corners I think?

So CV boots, shocks, brakes or wheel bearings, any ideas? How safe is this to drive if it's any of these?

You could try applying the brakes gently while driving along, if the noise stops then they would be my first guess. I'd probably jack it up and spin the wheels to see if there is any noise when turned by hand?

Tried pressing the brakes but it's not making a difference. The squeaking is mainly from the back of the van. Went over a bigger speed bump this afternoon and it was really loud, jumped on the back bumper it creaked. Shock absorbers are fairly new.

Spring plate bushes? These can be a common one to squeak if they are rotating in their housing!

Moseley said:
Spring plate bushes? These can be a common one to squeak if they are rotating in their housing!

^^^^^ What he said, i read somewhere that talcum powder stops this :shock:

66nige said:
Moseley said:

^^^^^ What he said, i read somewhere that talcum powder stops this :shock:

I think the talcum is mainly for installation as an assembly lubricant, it's possible it may help with noise over a period of time. Don't think you'll could get it in without stripping them off though.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,, I quite like a little squeak every so often :mrgreen:

WD40 won't stop anything squeaking - it's about as useful as white spirit! You need proper spray lube like Tecsol or even cheap chain lube.

Latest posts