Urgent help needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AircooledKate

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Adventurewagon
Just taken my bus to have its mot, all fine. Mot guy started it but it cut out (he doesn't know aircooleds apparently) so then he wiggled the key about for no apparent reason. Now the key won't turn at all. Any suggestions - other than find another mot place?

The steering lock may be locked on and taking the pressure off of the wheel by pulling it away from the locked position a bit might free the key.
Sounds like the barrels buggered to me though.

Felt like the steering lock was on but the steering wheel was turning fine, wiggled and jiggled for about 2 hours so have now ordered a new barrel. Gutted as this was one key all round apart from the engine bay :(

Don't worry, you can have the barrels matched. Pretty sure Heritage do them, or if you find an Old VW spanner monkey, they'll know how to do it, but I understand that it's quite a fiddly job.
Good luck!

Think its Schofield's who do them, depends on the type of key your new barrel uses Kate. You might just be able to swap the lock wafers over..
Worth looking into how easy it is to do before fitting the new barrel, the one thats in it might only need cleaning up and putting back in.

Sent from my Siswoo C55 using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone, love the help and support on here, there's always someone to answer and never any nastiness or condescending responses. Thanks all, very much appreciated. I'll check schofields out.

VeeDubKate said:
Thanks everyone, love the help and support on here, there's always someone to answer and never any nastiness or condescending responses. Thanks all, very much appreciated. I'll check schofields out.

That is the ^^^ main reason I like to pop on here every now and then. Also another thing on my to do list,,,, lock wafers and keys etc

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Don`t lock it anyhow,, too hard to get in when you`re pissed :lol:

And I would deffo find another MOT tester , one who is a bit more familiar with old vw's - I have 2 MOT guys I use one 13miles and the other is 30 miles from where I live .

Hope you get it sorted

I had this recently on my 68. Turns out the switch was nackered, removed it from the back of the barrel and laced it in wd40 and started with a screwdriver. It was fine just for getting the van home but i replaced it straight away and had no trouble since.

When the switch is removed youl be able to tell if the barrels ok as it will turn freely

You car re-barrel the door locks yourself it's easy. I might even have some tumblers if you are local.

ozziedog said:
VeeDubKate said:

That is the ^^^ main reason I like to pop on here every now and then. Also another thing on my to do list,,,, lock wafers and keys etc

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Don`t lock it anyhow,, too hard to get in when you`re pissed :lol:

Hahaha! :D :) :lol:

coopster said:
And I would deffo find another MOT tester , one who is a bit more familiar with old vw's - I have 2 MOT guys I use one 13miles and the other is 30 miles from where I live .

Hope you get it sorted

Yes definitely, this one was recommended to me but I'm not convinced by the recommendation if you get me - the person recommending was in the office chatting when I arrived :shock:

JcPrints said:
You car re-barrel the door locks yourself it's easy. I might even have some tumblers if you are local.

No idea what tumblers are :lol: but that would be good, I think I'll have a word with Schofields first though, my current priority is to get it moving and get an MoT then I'll look at trying to get it fixed or at least back to using the same key somehow.

Thanks for your help :D :D

My 69 Westy used to do this. You had to really jam the key into the barrel then give it a bit of shake to get it to turn.

Latest posts