US rear lights

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaughan

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Does anyone know if the US all red lens rear lights are legal in Uk.
I still have them on my 70 westy,
Any info appreciated
Cheers
Ade

I think if you have separate orange indicators you might be ok? But flashing red indicators are a no-no for sure.

This link is useful. Basically post 1965 you can’t , so for any baywindow bus the answers ‘no’

https://mattersoftesting.blog.gov.uk/your-questions-answered-do-test-stations-have-the-discretion-to-pass-historic-american-vehicles/

That’s for indicators but what some people do is change the back up lamps to be indicators with orange bulbs then you can keep the red lenses [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks for all comments, I've got the small oblong white lenses above can I put an orange bulb in those ??

They’re the back up lamps or reversing lights I mentioned. Someone who has done it may be along to tell you more.
You need to reorganise the wiring to suit of course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Yep, I've moved my indicating 12v+ signal to the reverse light holders. fitted orange bulbs (well they are silver actually but flash orange).
It's quite a common thing to do I believe. The MOT man was happy with that.... And for good measure I mounted a fancy schmancy period Hella auxiliary lamp on the rear bumper, as dedicated reverse lamp.
The wiring was a bit head scratcher IIRC- think there's a diagram on theSamba.
Liam

As Mike has said above, have a good look at the original wiring diagram and the various posts regarding the modification of moving the indicator flash to the reverse lights. The original wiring (on a 68, but I presume is a similar concept for other years) means that the brake light signal feeds into the indicator circuit at the dashboard relay. This needs to be removed, and a new cable run from the brake light switches to the tail lamp. The indicator wire can then just be moved from the red lamps, up to the ‘reverse’ lights.

I think that is summarised correctly?!

I’ve read that if you paint the bulbs green then they flash orange from behind a red lense? Either way, sharing a bulb with a brake light isn’t a good idea in modern traffic. Run the indicators in the reverse light units - looks original, tidy and safe.

Latest posts