Very long dipstick

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got round to fitting my JK VDO oil temp gauge and the dipstick looks a bit on the long side. I thought I may be able to cut it to size, but the connector at the top looks like it's moulded in place. I am quite happy to butcher it, but am also afraid of ruining it. Anyone else tried chopping this to size?

[EDIT] Just found this post - shame the pics aren't there anymore.
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?p=155583#p155583

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Never had one myself but am lead to believe that they’re great. I’m wondering if the gubbins that you speak of needs to be a certain distance away from your hot sweaty motor ?

Ozziedog,,,,,,,just a thought :mrgreen:

I think the dipstick is just a temp sensor and a connector. I'll find out for sure when I open it up. I may just install it all first and see if it's actually a problem.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Photo shows that it actually hits the pulley!
ac6e8b7a98b1aa8f88110d44f88066a5.jpg

So here's the internals of the connector, only issue will be if the resistance of the metal dipstick comes into play? Shouldn't make that much difference if I chop 6" off given the length of wire to the front. Wonder why they don't make them shorter?
b2b7893a334e10e9d967330b818e7ec1.jpg

Official solution - bend it!
1bfa325562e674d9a0e7c780129794be.jpg

Latest posts