Vinyl or cloth

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aardvark

Reaction score
Hi friends.
Aardvark here again and with another question.
Been spending a lot of time and money upgrading the interior of the van (and the mechanics, but that's another story). All the vinyl has been renewed. Door cards, kick panels, cab seats, spare cover, sliding door and bunk covers and more. It's all coming together very nicely. However I've been looking at the bed/seat. It would be very nice to have it covered in the same vinyl to blend the whole thing together. However when it comes to camping, I'm wondering if it would be a bad idea for sleeping on and should maybe look to get it upholstered in as close a colour as possible but in cloth.
Does anyone have any experiences good or bad in having the bed covered in vinyl? Don't want to spend all that money to realise that it's a bad choice.
Cheers
Aardvark

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Personally I went cloth for my bed as I didn't like the feel of vinyl, even through a sheet. Pleased with my decision!

We have leather, so not too dissimilar in feel to vinyl. We use a mattress topper before putting a bed sheet on and you couldn’t tell what the bed was made from as a result. Might be an option for you and adds a little extra comfort (which is always welcomed on a foam bed!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're sleeping straight onto the bed with a sheet or similar, then cloth will be more comfortable and won't make you sweat.
But if you're using a mattress topper or sleeping bags then it's up to you, although on vinyl/leather coverings sleeping bags can move around a bit.

Vinyl would be my choice. Wipe clean innit :D

Our "Rock N Roll" seats which form part of the bed in our van is covered in the same vinyl as the front seats. We put a thin quilt on as a bottom sheet and another on top, always have a good nights sleep.

We went with fabric and have not attached the cushions to the seats. Rusty Lee full length rock and roll.
They get removed to wash, removable covers, if needed and taken out completely when I do the tip run with all the rubbish
someone has collected doing the gardening. :lol: :lol: :lol:

J & P
:D :D :D

I’ve got fabric on mine with vinyl sides / trims to match the other vinyl. Couldn’t stand sleeping on vinyl in a mates van because it was too solid and had no give for elbows or hips. Couldn’t be happier with mine with the fabric. Toppers and stuff may very well help but it’s just more shit to shift innit. Delilah’s did mine for me on a Rusty Lee full width fat bloke size bed.

Ozziedog,,Whatever you go for there’s usually enough Stella to help you go to sleep :mrgreen:

I know yours is a Dormobile, but Westfalia's had vinyl in the back at first then changed to cloth, first mustard coloured cloth like the early vinyl then garish check colours, which are quite nice I think, certainly unique :lol:
The cab area, seats and door cards, are a different colour, they're beige vinyl in our Westy.

Anyway, if you're going to using it for camping much I would go for vinyl, just because it's more practical. Unless you sleep with just a sheet underneath you, you won't notice the vinyl. Then when you are sitting on the seat eating and drinking, any spills will wipe up much more easily. Glass of red over a laptop though, thats another story! :roll:

Many thanks for all the input. I'm not 100% decided, but veering towards vinyl, and then a topper for sleeping. The vinyl will look really smart when it's all matched up. Plus it will look good for a long time. As Mike said, a glass of wine on the cloth is a stain forever. We are also going to be using the van for commercial purposes, so I'm thinking vinyl for that.
Once I get it complete, I'll put a photo in. For now, I'll post a photo of the cab area. Showing the new vinyl.
Thanks again
A

Last shout is this, I grew up in Oz and that’s a completely different story for the weather. However, here in sunny sunny England it can still get sweaty on vinyl, maybe not so much at night though. So maybe veer towards vinyl for the commercial aspect.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, Z.Z. La Grange ??? :lol: :lol: :lol: Fingers crossed :mrgreen:

This is my vinyl.
dacb422b96b292d7525233d46f75e9b4.jpg
a2abc90fc9e93c4bde2054e437c3ccb8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

Hey Aardvark- don’t suppose you still got panels have you. I have a dormobile and need all panels except cab doors . Even if just for templates. But if tan and cleanable I would defo have them 👍🌈🧻😷😊

I just recovered the originals, so they are all on the van I'm afraid. What ones are you looking for anyway?
There is a guy on e bay sells a complete set of bare panels for covering, or if you want them in wood for varnishing, he can do that too. All laser cut so exact. Only charging £90 which I think is a bargain.

No worries Aardvark thanks anyway. I’m after rear hatch and sides for dormobile.
Fallingofalot is your side door panel tan ??
Send us a pic if poss - don’t want to take over thread 🌈🌈👍

Latest posts