• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WANTED: Under-dash speaker tray

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coda

Reaction score
I'm looking for a speaker tray to go under the dash. This is what an original one looks like, fifth post down: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8655798
There is a repro available but it is expensive and you have to buy the speaker to go with it, which I don't want to do: https://www.bus-ok.de/Type2-bay-Speaker-complete-with-mounting-frame
If someone has one and doesn't want to sell it, I'd settle for a drawing with dimensions so I can make one up.
Thanks.
Edit: realised first link didn't work.

If you’re going to Bristol, I’ll pop one in the back of my van if I remember. I’ve got a pair that are no 137 on my to do list and they’re not in great condition but you could certainly take measurements from them. My pair are a steel outer frame covered with plastic /rubber not sure which, and has a tightly strung mesh / stockinette surface to carry bits and bobs. One or both of mine has a large hole in the mesh but they’d be good for referencing I reckon.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,but remind me,,,,,,lots :mrgreen:

Thanks Oz, er what’s at Bristol?
Edit: Oh yeah Volksfest. Cos of everything being cancelled and postponed recently I'd stopped paying attention to event happenings. I would have been able to make it too, but I've been 'volunteered' for something next weekend.

Edit2: If you have time, could you post a photo of the tray for me please?

See if you can make any sense of this.

The outer is about three quarters of an inch by about a bit less than an eighth of mild steel with the mesh stretched over and secured with hog type rings every couple of inches then a rubber extrusion hiding all the gubbins . This also has three nuts welded onto a lug welded onto the frame to attach the little hanging arms. One cuddles up to the handbrake fixing and one hits the air box, but not sure on the other. I’ve had a pair of these years ago on a different van and the good thing was that nothing generally jumped out because the mesh was springy and deadened any bumps. Bad thing was, just like this one, someone will put something in that’s way way way tooo heavy or just heavy but sharp and ends up cutting through. No idea what this mesh is but it appears to be some kind of slightly stretchy nylon but it may also be the frame providing the springiness. I’ve been messing about with a pair of vertical pieces of ply from the floor to just under the dash making a cover for the hand brake lever but leaving it just short in order to host a couple of speakers and to support the middle of a full width shelf but my speakers are too big to fit in equilaterally so it’s one high and one low or smaller speakers, we’ll see what’s at Bristol ;) :mrgreen: ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,could always buy some I spose :mrgreen:

Ozzie, I'm really grateful you took the time to do that, but what I wanted was the speaker tray which sits inside the dash above the radio. Sorry if I was not clear enough. I'm sure someone can make use of your drawing though!

Coda said:
Ozzie, I'm really grateful you took the time to do that, but what I wanted was the speaker tray which sits inside the dash above the radio. Sorry if I was not clear enough. I'm sure someone can make use of your drawing though!

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, DOH!!! My bad, but someone might want those specs :mrgreen:

Latest posts