Westfalia Continental roof bed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

paddy56

Reaction score
I've spotted another one. I don't mind teeling you as I've already got one :wink:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLKSWAGEN-VW-CAMPER-T2-WESTFALIA-WESTPHALIA-ROOF-BED_W0QQitemZ230235842351QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230235842351

Would these beds fit in a standard '71 pop top westfalia? Also how big are they and what sort of weight can they support? They look quite useful.

I haven't set mine up yet, but as soon as I do, I'll post a few pics.
My van is a 1968 model, I hope the bed fits all earlybays !
They were designed for 1972-1973 Continental buses, but I can't see why it wouldn't fit my Westy.
Max weight is 80 kg ( I'll let you convert into pounds ! )

The hole in the roof is a different size in the early bays but it will fit easily enough.

When I installed one on my 68 I found the bed will sit a bit further back in the bus - the bolster cushion only fills half the gap at the front of the bed (I used the head board support as my starting point). I had to move the side supporting brackts further forwards (about 100mm) so they didn't fowl the pop top supports. I also had to move the pop top toggle brackets further forwards (about 75mm) to get them in the right place to attach the bed to the pop top when it's elevated. Also, there wasn't enough room on the roof at the back of the hole to fit the large round washers that are part of the head board support bit, so these had to be trimmed down slightly. But yes they do fit without any real issue.

I'm 6 feet tall and can lay out up there (just).

I fitted mine yesterday and was confronted to the same issues as DP, but nothing too difficult to sort out. It is definitely worth the move !

Another one here :
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220219497317&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts