Westfalia Roof Toggle

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magoo

Reaction score
I want to replace the exterior roof toggle at the front of my bus. Not sure why it was put there but maybe for increased safety? What do people have instead? Is there another clip available?

24jan14_zps3d894d9b.jpg

I take it that isn't a genuine roof then? Mine has a bracket on the underside which slides under a similar bracket mounted on the roof of the van. I'd take a pic for you but it's raining and she doesn't go out in the rain :)

As far as I know Westys never had a toogle fitted on the outside, this looks like an add on from a previous owner, don't know why you'd need it.
I've a friend with a Westy Poptop on his panel van conversion, and he hadn't any toogles at all and drives the bus all over with no problems, I wouldn't like to drive without any toogles but he has never had any issues.

My Westy has one each side and one at the centre/rear of the roof inside.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A new roof was fitted during the previous owner's restoration. I have two in the inside, but none in the centre as I have a double roof skin a few inches apart. Maybe the third was placed outside as it was the only place it could go?

I have a retro fitted roof so I don't have the brackets on the inside at the front. My roof used to lift slightly at the front in cross winds or passing a truck...scares the s**t outta you when you don't know what it is! Thinks its not helped by worn hinges...
I fitted a smaller buckle style bonnet strap, but that doesn't tension enough, so it has a slice of bumpstop stuffed behind it now! Not that pretty, but stops it lifting ;)
I did consider an adjustable metal clamp, but the angle and lack of fitting room make it a bit tricky.
Cheers
Al

no roof clip on mine, as stated before the later models had an internal bracket, the only time iv noticed it being a problem is when I'm at top speed ( 55 MPH) and a lorry thunders past in the opposite direction it lifts at the front slightly but the toggle in the middle hold it down. just make sure they are in good condition. the ones on the inside of mine are almost right at the front of the sunroof section which is about the middle of the fibreglass roof

Has anyone got a photo of the internal bracket or toggle? I'd like to see what I'm missing before making any changes.

Latest posts