Westfalia Roof

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a newby to the forum. I realise now should have joined before I bought my van. It is not everything I had hoped for :oops:

Van chassis number shows it to be early 1968 early bay. It has been fitted with a Westfalia roof which has been modified. I would like to get the roof back to original Westfalia spec for an early bay and need to know the Westfalia tin roof cut out dimensions and location. This for both the early bay and later bay.

Why later bay? Well to my untrained eye the tin roof is cut out I would say for a late bay Wesfalia van with flat sleeping area at the rear of the van. The Westy fiberglass roof is still hinged at the front but the rear luggage carrier is grafted on to the front lifting section to make a full length lifting roof.

Has anyone heard of this type of conversion/ modification? I need to sort it out as the canvass needs replacing and standard Westfalia canvass will be way too short.

Many thanks, Kris

Hi Kris, welcome along to the Early Bay forum. I`ve not heard of a conversion like this but where there`s a will there`s a way. I`ve seen so many different types of conversion usually stemming from when they were very very cheap. I`ve even seen a few with beetle shells grafted on to the roof and allsorts of things. If you`d be good enough to put up a few pictures, something may become apparent. Have a look at the `How To s ` at the top of the board index page about posting pictures. :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Every days a school day :mrgreen:

Looking at the pics the steel roof doesn't look like it's been messed with. Handle and supports all seem to be in the original location in relation to the side windows. Potentially looks like you'll have to separate roof and rack, refit rack to steel roof and fit new canvas.

Hi, this is good to know. I had thought curve of the roof follows the rib on the fiberglass to but from what your saying am now thinking its maybe the rear luggage rack part that has been cut around. Will have to figure out how to separate and what repairs if any needed to the fiberglass part. Regards, Kris

Hi. Front of roof rack should drop to steel roof at 90 degrees. There is a rebate on outer edge of rack that allows the flat seal on the lifting section to sit flush. Can't sort any pics as van is in storage.. sorry. I'd try and find a new rack as that would be the easiest way to sort it

Sorry but the metal roof has been hackled about, on an early bay westy they used the sunroof opening which sits between the roof ribs at the B post and C post, whereas your roof has clearly had the roof rib at the C post cut out.

The steel roof on an early and a late are completely different and yours looks like its been fitted with a later roof or been made to look like a later roof, as lates had rear hinged roofs the roof itself was flat to accomodate the roof bed.

Hi Graham, thanks for post and observations. Am I right in thinking I could still fit a later type Westfalia roof to the opening that is cut in my roof without much difficulty, but with hinges at rear. Will I need to add reinforcement for the new hinge placement.

When did Westfalia start putting hinge at the rear of the van? I am thinking it was on later models so maybe this has been hacked around with and a Westfalia lifting roof fitted at some time in its life. Regards, Kris

Hi Kris

You should be able to fit a later roof that then has a front roof rack (dont look as nice but are bigger than the EB one), Forward hinged roofs continued into 1973 MY so first year of Late Bay production then after that they went to the rear hinged roof (as far as Im aware)

d835ab009a5355785b78da7de50fe346.jpg

Here is a picture of the roof on my '74 model Westy, this style of roof may suit you
c47a36090150a86b9389d8ad3e4c41b0.jpg

Later roof rack section is smaller than the early bay rack (which is obviously fitted at the rear of an early roof)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts