Westfalia / Westy Continental Roof Double Bed 68 to 72

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faux

Reaction score
I have been working hard for the past few months, with my good friend Rusty Lee, to produce the illusive Continental bed.

This has been done before, I know, and there are still some original ones out there but there are a few issues. The ones I have seen reproduced don't really resemble the original ones and an original one doesn't fit a >72 bus very well.

So the plan was to make a bed that looked and worked as closely to the original as possible but would fit the slightly longer and narrower Earlybay Westy roof opening.

We have now done it and wanted to share them with you guys on Earlybay first to gauge the response before opening up sales to the wider VW scene.

The beds come complete with all fixtures and fittings:
* Upholstery, nuts, bolts and screws.
* The drop down bar that holds up the head rest (This has been adapted slightly to work with the early bay roof).
* Blanking bolts to replace the black roof handle (which is best removed).
* Designed for children (approx 12.5 stone, 80kg)

The material is an off white vinyl as I can no longer get the mustard corduroy that I was using.

Here are some pics of the prototype. Please let us know what you think.

The price is £275 for everything and I can also offer fitting if needed, but will be happy to give any advice needed.

+ £5 if you want it packaging - a lot of time, tape and Wrap is needed :shock:

In folded position:
IMG_0175.jpg

Layed out flat:
IMG_0179-1.jpg

Head rest bar and fixings:
IMG_0177.jpg

(These will also be available for 73/74 front hinging late bays)

For our overseas buddies we can do it in kit form for £125, with instructions and measurements of course :lol:
(£135 delivered to uk, £140 delivered in Europe, £145 to the US and Canada)

IMG_0241.jpg

Feel free to give me a call if you have any questions

Jon 07801 627195

Strange. I've just been looking at one. This looks much more original and cheaper.
I'm interested as long as you have some fool proof instructions.

Heebee_GB said:
Strange. I've just been looking at the Vw evolution one. This looks much more original and cheaper.
I'm interested as long as you have some fool proof instructions.

I haven't written the instructions yet as I want to fit a couple to ensure the easiest approach. I did trial fit the bed minus upholstery in Lee's van and it was fairly straight forward. I will keep everyone posted.

slammedresto said:
as ive said, put mine name on one please Jon :mrgreen:

Glad to hear it G. 8)

As soon as I have fitted this to my bus, and double checked that Lee and me are 100% happy with the design, I will post more details. I will be asking for a deposit to hold a bed and there will be 10 available (hopefully before Christmas).

having fitted a continental bed in our 70 westy - I think this version represents very good value. Top work

Exactly as is says on the tin, bloody briliaint, you see what can be done when you really put your mind to doing a repro, it will pay to get it right, not like some of the " this will make me lots of cash " people out there who, to be honest, are only interested in making money, I personally, would like to see more people doing these sort of things.
Nice one, bloody nice one.
Seeing, and knowing the man who (men) made this, and knowing how fussy he is, I would recomend these to anyone with total confidence of a good fit, good quality etc.
Buy right, buy this.......................................

;) ;) ;) ;) Rocket

Rocket said:
Exactly as is says on the tin, bloody briliaint, you see what can be done when you really put your mind to doing a repro, it will pay to get it right, not like some of the " this will make me lots of cash " people out there who, to be honest, are only interested in making money, I personally, would like to see more people doing these sort of things.
Seeing, and knowing the man who (men) made this, and knowing how fussy he is, I would recomend these to anyone with total confidence of a good fit, good quality etc.

;) ;) ;) ;) Rocket

Wow, that is a compliment. Thank you Ron.

I trial fitted it this morning, it took about 2 hours taking my time. After a few goes I should be able to do this in an hour.

56d84c2b.jpg

6205e1fe.jpg

33690dc5.jpg

f208725b.jpg

There are 2 small alterations to make and then I'll be 100% happy.

Rocket said:

;) ;) ;) ;) Rocket

well said. couldnt agree more 8)

Will you still have to remove the pop top handel jon? Looks like you might get away with it in the photo.

morecambeandwize said:
Does this go up with the roof when its lifted?

How soon could you have one done by?

Yes this goes up with the roof, the hold down roof toggle just swaps over holds the bed out of the way, release the toggles and the bed is in place. Easy.

There should be a 2 week turn around on them.

We will be taking orders hopefully by the end of the week, but they will be pick up or delivery to a show only, due to the size etc.

clyde said:
Will you still have to remove the pop top handel jon? Looks like you might get away with it in the photo.

Sharp eyes Jon 8)

It actually fits without taking the handle out but I think that it will be better if it is, but we will include capping bolts for the holes left. Obviously this will be up to the individual.

Noted for the future , Looks Great!

Would you be prepared to sell the head rest bar and the foot cushion seprately?

I have an original continental bed in our bus but just need these parts to make it complete!

Cheers

Peter

toffo24 said:
Noted for the future , Looks Great!

Would you be prepared to sell the head rest bar and the foot cushion seprately?

I have an original continental bed in our bus but just need these parts to make it complete!

Cheers

Peter

Thanks Peter,

I don't think this would help because if you use the head rest bar you would need to fix your bed to the roof due to the nature of the design. And because the original continental bed is shorter than our design you would then have problems with it lifting out of the way when not in use and the bed rests would hit the pop top struts. Also the foot cushion would need to be quite a bit wider to fill the extra gap left by moving the bed up!

The reason we have changed the design slightly is that I have an original bed and it just didn't work properly. I would love to have kept the original and fitted it but I am really fussy and wanted it to work properly, without the frustrations of it knocking off the sunroof hole trim every time the bed went up and having to slide it back and forth to avoid the struts.

I do know quite a few people with original beds that have adapted them to work ok but this project was about sympathetically adjusting the design to keep the aesthetics but remove the small glitches. I think we have done it.

Well done Jon & Lee

Looks really good and as others have pointed out I know it will be right if you've been involved, from now on I'll be recommending your conversion to my westy buyers rather than from the other mob.

You kept that bloody quiet when I was down at your place a few weeks ago :lol: :lol:

Good luck with the sales, anything else I should know about in the pipeline :?: :?: :?:

Graham L said:
Well done Jon & Lee

Looks really good and as others have pointed out I know it will be right if you've been involved, from now on I'll be recommending your conversion to my westy buyers rather than from the other mob.

You kept that bloody quiet when I was down at your place a few weeks ago :lol: :lol:

Good luck with the sales, anything else I should know about in the pipeline :?: :?: :?:

Cheers Graham

I have to be honest, it has been great working with Lee, he is a good fabricator and has the same outlook of getting it right! And he also provides Diet Coke and Pasties.... :lol:

I didn't want to advertise before I knew it worked, the hard job is getting manufacturers to deliver the parts I need on time!!!! :roll:

I am also making repro westy curtaing tie backs in the grey plastic and have also done a few pop top hinge repair bars as I know these are often broken.

Latest posts