westy wood

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

62 deluxe

Reaction score
I have, what appears to be the budget version US '70 westy walkthrough. It has a full width bed, no rear cabinets or top locker, pop top, no roof sink vent (a later sink unit is installed), no table or buddy seat (although they may have been removed) and a full ply roof lining that curves down over the rear hinges. The wood is in poor shape so I want to replace it and make up a buddy seat and top locker. Does anyone know what veneer was used on roof ply, side panels and what wood veneer was replicated by the Formica on the sink unit and bed.

Any help appreciated.

Jon

62 deluxe said:
I have, what appears to be the budget version US '70 westy walkthrough. It has a full width bed, no rear cabinets or top locker, pop top, no roof sink vent (a later sink unit is installed), no table or buddy seat (although they may have been removed) and a full ply roof lining that curves down over the rear hinges. The wood is in poor shape so I want to replace it and make up a buddy seat and top locker. Does anyone know what veneer was used on roof ply, side panels and what wood veneer was replicated by the Formica on the sink unit and bed.

Any help appreciated.

Jon

Hi,

Welcome along to the site! AFAIK, the wood used is 3mm Baltic Birch, which has a white painted finish, though most of this has flaked off by now, the laminate on the cabinets is like a American Cherry, i dont know the exact code, but a look on the Formica website would find a close match i would guess.

http://www.formica.co.uk/publish/site/eu/uk/en/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post up some pictures so we can see what you have, we like pictures! Start a gallery thread, we can see the progress of your van, and post a pic up on this thread, so we can see what you are talking about with the interior. :D

There should be a metal plaque on the lower left front edge of the bed which has the interior type, we can then tell what you should have, additionally there is a M code plate behind the drivers seat, looks like the one in my sig file below, this has all the model details, options, paint code, manufacturing dates etc etc.

You can click on this
http://www.vw-mplate.com/mcode_draw_mplate.php?id=657" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to give you a example of what details it will bring up, you can then fill in yours to see exactly what your bus whould have had from new. 8)

Hope this helps

Cheers,

Alistair

Latest posts