Wet patch in passenger side footwell.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben72Bay

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just can’t figure this one out!
So - damp patch appears in the passenger footwell after it’s been parked up for a while.
It’s parked in a garage.
Haven’t driven in the rain for months.
Don’t have the washer bottle installed.

I can’t think of any other liquids that could be dripping into there. The insulation underneath the front mat isn’t soaking so I think it must be dripping in from above.

I must be missing something obvious….?!
Any ideas please?!
9143C6E3-16C2-4685-924A-7E219EF40C82.jpeg

Washer wiper tube leaking??
Or condensation??

As it seems to be so localised, I’d see if you could catch any by putting a container in there, a bucket or even a celebrations type container then you’ll know for sure if it’s dripping. I can’t see that it’s condensation yet as the temperatures are still way toooo warm and nowhere’s near a dew point. The last hope if it isn’t that is obviously tena pants for men ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,, once you’ve discounted the obvious :)

Is it water? Not brake fluid?

Most likely the windscreen washer pipes leaking otherwise.
I’ll check the routing of the brake fluid from the reservoir. (That is the small cube thing infront of the drivers footwell isn’t it?)
Maybe there is a pin hole that releases as the brake system pressures down after use?

As it seems to be so localised, I’d see if you could catch any by putting a container in there, a bucket or even a celebrations type container then you’ll know for sure if it’s dripping. I can’t see that it’s condensation yet as the temperatures are still way toooo warm and nowhere’s near a dew point. The last hope if it isn’t that is obviously tena pants for men ;)

Ozziedog,,,,,,, once you’ve discounted the obvious :)
Further investigation required!!

Shouldn't be any water in there at all. Your best bet is to remove the floor carpet, and keep an eye if you get any more drips on the cab floor. It shouldn't be too difficult to find the source. That lever should have a round knob on the end of it.

On my 1970 the brake fluid reservoir is in the l/h/s footwell above the kick panel. Your '72 may be different. If it was brake fluid you would probably have realised that by now as it would damage the paint on the cab floor.

I think the brake reservoir is behind the drivers side on the right hand side - but I'm going to get the front panels and carpets out this weekend and try and trace it.

it just hasn't been out in the rain really and I don't have the windscreen washer bottle fitted and haven't had for over a year so I need to try and figure this one out!

I can't think of any other liquid source other than brake fluid as I can't think what else could be in there - I'm pretty sure it's not coming up from above.

Latest posts