What are these in the engine bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supertramp

Reaction score
They weren't in my last bus.
This thing in the top right corner.
677894598c79fa475c363883cb5ff0da.jpg

This, which doesn't seem to be attached to anything.
eba458b085912aa1c01983dd57212bad.jpg

Thanks!

The canister on the right is a charcoal canister which by the looks of it is now defunct, it was used to lower emissions.
The other thing looks a bit like a reverse buzzer that was fitted my USA Westy

Flux Capacitor! Very rare :)

Seriously, bottom left one still has a pipe attached. Some sort of fuel regulator? Top right, no idea. Fuel tank for a heater?

I reckon he might be right ^^^^ but I thought the top one might have been a rear facing grenade launcher and the other one is an air raid siren :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Maybe :mrgreen: Maybe not :mrgreen:

Thank you all. Grenade launcher...I wish! Could get those who think it's fun to pull out infront of me. :lol:
So would it be worth connecting them both back up? Did they actually lower emissions?

I took both out of mine as they had no connections at all, cannister thing is in the Bentley manual as described for US emmisions. Was never sure on the other one.

Here is a crappy photo of my original motor (mines a US 71 too)

The thingy on the bottom left was connect to the carb via some vacuum hoses and to (I think from memory) one of the manifolds.

If your bus runs fine without them then I guess it is all obsolete now and you may as well pull it all out. Mines all been taken off now as I have changed the engine and carb.

On us buses the throttle was rigged to close slowly so as to reduce emissions. Mine are removed as they caus an undesirable lag in engine performance. The big black cannister is the us spec evapoative emission contol system. Look it up on sambe if you want to hook it up.

Latest posts