What size spare tyre?? And valve question

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

Porkpie

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
146
Reaction score
0
Location
North Nottinghamshire
Hi Guys, hope everyone is well and keeping safe.
The time has come for me to get some tyres on my van and I have a dilemma about the spare. I'm going for 185r14 on the rear and 165/60/14 on the front, but what do I do about number 5??
Wheels are 5.5" all around.
Any ideas and suggestions invited.
Regards, Si.
 

gas1man

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
2,109
Reaction score
56
Location
Somerset
Year of Van
1971
Van Type
Dormobile
Duplicate of the rear , It just needs to get you to / of the road and to a place of repair.
Never travel more than 30 mph and you won't kill the gearbox/ or have an unmanageable steering.

I have the same all round so.... no problem. Problems occur if you have a lowered bus.
The best then is to attempt to find a Space Saver type tyre with rim.
Not certain but I think the Porsche space saver works. Try asking " Sparkywig" on this forum.

I am sure there will be more info forthcoming.

J & P
:D :D :D
 

Porkpie

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
146
Reaction score
0
Location
North Nottinghamshire
Hi J&P, thanks for the reply. The issue is the size of tyre as I already have the rim. I wasn't sure if something between the two or probably a repeat of the front as the commercial rears should be less prone to get punctured?
Regards, Si.
 

gas1man

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
2,109
Reaction score
56
Location
Somerset
Year of Van
1971
Van Type
Dormobile
Hi Si,
Front usually is not a problem.Yes they are less prone.
It's the rear that has a gearing problem, that's where the problems are , hence the recommendation.

J & P
:D :D :D
 

sparkywig

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Feb 9, 2008
Messages
11,675
Reaction score
212
Location
mostly here, sometimes there
The ideal situation is two spares, one for the front and one for the rear, but this just adds weight and you need the space to carry them
But if you only carry one, in an emergency it doesn't really matter as you'll be driving slow and not far. Modern space savers don't match any wheel, but have a 50 kph (30mph) speed limit and a 50km (30 mile) range before you have to replace them.

I only really carry a spare when I do Euro trips as insurance to safely get off the carriageway. I've never needed to change a wheel on the bus in almost 40 years of driving.
But that's just jinxed it....
 

[email protected]

Well-known member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
4,832
Reaction score
133
Location
Felixstowe, Suffolk
Year of Van
1970
Van Type
Westfalia pop-top
LOCATION
Suffolk wilderness
sparkywig said:
The ideal situation is two spares, one for the front and one for the rear, but this just adds weight and you need the space to carry them
But if you only carry one, in an emergency it doesn't really matter as you'll be driving slow and not far. Modern space savers don't match any wheel, but have a 50 kph (30mph) speed limit and a 50km (30 mile) range before you have to replace them.

I only really carry a spare when I do Euro trips as insurance to safely get off the carriageway. I've never needed to change a wheel on the bus in almost 40 years of driving.
But that's just jinxed it....


You’ve done it now! :lol:
 

ozziedog

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
6,157
Reaction score
83
Location
East Brizzal
sparkywig said:
The ideal situation is two spares, one for the front and one for the rear, but this just adds weight and you need the space to carry them
But if you only carry one, in an emergency it doesn't really matter as you'll be driving slow and not far. Modern space savers don't match any wheel, but have a 50 kph (30mph) speed limit and a 50km (30 mile) range before you have to replace them.

I only really carry a spare when I do Euro trips as insurance to safely get off the carriageway. I've never needed to change a wheel on the bus in almost 40 years of driving.
But that's just jinxed it....


You’ve done it now! :lol:


That sounds like the daftest thing in the world to say. ;) Is anyone taking bets on how long before the inevitable? :lol:
My two penneth on the spare tyre thing is firstly you’ve got two different sized tyres on the front and the rear. As everyone above ^^^has said, it’s a get you to safety wheel and not necessarily a wheel / tyre to go tare assing about on :shock: So there’s not a big thing really about size apart from, will it fit where you’ve taken the smallest tyre off? I’m assuming your front are smallest, so just for peace of mind, try your rear on the front and visa versa and make sure that your biggest one is not gonna have any issues o the front. If everything else is ok, I’d go for the smaller size just to save a little space. But not a biggy either way :mrgreen:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,Or!!! Whatever’s in the garage :mrgreen:
 

Porkpie

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 16, 2010
Messages
146
Reaction score
0
Location
North Nottinghamshire
Lol, thanks guys for the recommendations. I'll definitely try swopping the front and rear tyres about to see if there's any issues with space.
Regards, Si.
 

Clem

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Joined
Oct 5, 2006
Messages
7,923
Reaction score
46
Location
Gloucester
My spare is one of a pair that I bought for the front but turned out to be a bit too big and they rubbed a bit. As an emergency it’s fine and will fit front and rear to get out of trouble.
This year was the first time I had to change a tyre in 25+ years of camper driving I think. And it was flat, so don’t forget to check it :D
 

fallingoffalot

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
815
Reaction score
43
Location
Gloucestershire
Had the same issue, so put my rear on the front to check. There was virtually no clearence and it rubbed at the slightest bump, so I went for a front on my spare.

Another option would be to not bother with a spare and just have one of those tyre seal inflation devices that comes with the liquid stuff and an electric inflator. Never used it so can't say how easy it it, but looks like a good compromise. Got one for my Mini when I changed the run-flats to normal ones.

Sent from my SM-G9600 using Tapatalk

 

gas1man

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 22, 2012
Messages
2,109
Reaction score
56
Location
Somerset
Year of Van
1971
Van Type
Dormobile
Fallingoffalot , thought long and hard about that one, decided against purely because a side wall blow out /tear,
renders that useless.
Hope this never happens to anyone.

J & P
:D :D :D
 

fallingoffalot

Well-known member
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
815
Reaction score
43
Location
Gloucestershire
gas1man said:
Fallingoffalot , thought long and hard about that one, decided against purely because a side wall blow out /tear,
renders that useless.
Hope this never happens to anyone.

J & P
:D :D :D

Yeah good point, only issue I had was the spare tyre getting in the way a bit when me + mrs were sleeping in it during the summer. We're probably getting a tent for next year - so I can have the van to myself :D
Andy
 

ozziedog

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
6,157
Reaction score
83
Location
East Brizzal
fallingoffalot said:
gas1man said:
Fallingoffalot , thought long and hard about that one, decided against purely because a side wall blow out /tear,
renders that useless.
Hope this never happens to anyone.

J & P
:D :D :D

Yeah good point, only issue I had was the spare tyre getting in the way a bit when me + mrs were sleeping in it during the summer. We're probably getting a tent for next year - so I can have the van to myself :D
Andy

A favourite amongst some peeps is to pop the spare under the van on arrival and retrieve as you load up.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,if you’re not too low of course :mrgreen:
 

matty74

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 2, 2015
Messages
418
Reaction score
19
Location
Croston
… Or even attempt to drive off with it still under the van as I so often do [emoji85][emoji1787]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 

ozziedog

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
6,157
Reaction score
83
Location
East Brizzal
matty74 said:
… Or even attempt to drive off with it still under the van as I so often do [emoji85][emoji1787]


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad it’s not just me then. However,,,, I immediately think “You Dickhead “ and know what it is without even thinking. I’ve even got to the stage now where I put the spare right by the wheel that it’ll hit first depending on if I’m driving out then it’s next to the rear and if reversing out it’s next to the front. I’ve had a few too many ‘clunks’ when attempting a regular drive off :lol:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,not always, but sometimes :mrgreen:
 

ozziedog

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
6,157
Reaction score
83
Location
East Brizzal
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Just had a thought :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Now that I’ve raised my van (praise the raised) I spose it’s possible, if I shoved it too far under, to just drive off and leave my spare there :roll:

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Now I’ll have to chain him up to the bumper :mrgreen:
 

Bluesnailman

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 29, 2012
Messages
785
Reaction score
1
Porkpie said:
Hi Guys, hope everyone is well and keeping safe.
The time has come for me to get some tyres on my van and I have a dilemma about the spare. I'm going for 185r14 on the rear and 165/60/14 on the front, but what do I do about number 5??
Wheels are 5.5" all around.
Any ideas and suggestions invited.
Regards, Si.
I think the answer lies hidden in the above advice (be last off the field at a vw gathering and you'll have a choice of spares wheels and tyres, waste water tanks, brollies and possibly some poptop canvas)

Sent from my moto g(7) plus using Tapatalk

 

Latest posts

Top