What speed to change gear?!?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clean

Reaction score
Early Bayers,

We took May, our '71 Westy Crossover, for her first long run out since we have had her, and what a weekend to pick.... 28C all weekend on the east coast of North Yorkshire. A stunning weekend of bus life by any standard.

She behaved impeccably, starting, idling and running sweet as, all weekend. She did a 200 mile round trip without skipping a beat. Not having a rev counter installed I am basing my gear charging on engine sound, and pull, but would love to have something more scientific to base the decision on until we get a tacho fitted in the empty hole of the dash.

Are there well defined / agreed speed ranges to change up and down between the gears? Have tried the Google and it came up shy.

Any tips, please?

Thanks,

Richie Clean and May the bus.

DJ03C.jpg

Download an owner's manual for your bus from the samba.com

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/type2.php

Excellent article Sparky, I have always gone by driving up to 10mph in first, up to 20 in second, 30 third etc. So it looks like I've been doing something half right after all. However, I'm not sure about the following sentence from the article:

"When an particular traffic situation makes it essential to move rapidly"

Surely that should say "...move less slowly" mind you I am still running a stock 1600 tp so progress is never rapid. 🤣

Latest posts