Whats the...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bay dreamer

Reaction score
Whats the most money you've seen a bus change hands for ? Be it a split,bay or whatever ? I don't mean advertised price,i mean a van thats actually sold and you know what money it made.I know some people might prefer to keep moneys issues private but i'm just curious as to whether any of the vans advertised for big money actually sell for near the asking price ?

bay dreamer said:
Whats the most money you've seen a bus change hands for ? Be it a split,bay or whatever ? I don't mean advertised price,i mean a van thats actually sold and you know what money it made.I know some people might prefer to keep moneys issues private but i'm just curious as to whether any of the vans advertised for big money actually sell for near the asking price ?

I have seen allot of vans go for £18000 - £20000, these were top notch buses mind in the restoration stakes, but all went to people who were pretty wealthy and were buying for someone else ;) I have personally been offered £18000 for mine pretty resently which was cool.

Most of the top buses go for around £15000 to £18000 in my experience.

This is all earlybay prices 8)

I got just under £8k for my early converted panel with no real interior although it had been re-sprayed and the engine was fully re-built
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4916&hilit=1971
This was its build thread.

It really depends on how much work you can do yourself as there are still some bargains to be had (ask me how i know ;) :lol: ) but if you want a jump in and drive then i'm afraid your going to have to pay.

Oh i forgot, you dont want to know some splitty prices as it will make you wince! :lol:

I think there is definately a 'cap' to Early Bay Prices ... Ive seen the most radical customs and the most perfect stock examples sell, all for under £20k, Id say nothing(?) has gone above that in a straight sale to date .... I could be wrong.

I think the peak was about 2 years ago when there were people at the Volksworld Show buying Early Bays at very high prices .. they were cash rich and wanted 'get in and drive' vans, Im sure they are still around but that one year was odd. Maybe 'One Man and his Campervan' will raise the values again? :D

Splits often burst this ceiling and way beyond as there is a lot more years of scarcity to delve into. In the US there have been $100k sales, at least. No Early Bays are 'that' rare in reality. Desireability is different however.

There was a splittie at one of our club meets, a funkenblitz rebuild, rumour had it £70k was spent buying it and building it. Looked awesome but not my cup of tea.

I don't know if it was for sale or just a very rich erm numpty!!! :)

Sent from my 32Gb iPhone 4 using Tapatalk. Founder member of the Latebay malt circle.

I know a dood, who has spent over 50k as we speak on his bus and it hasnt even got an interior in yet :shock: or a special engine just a 1600 :shock: mind you it is gonna be fucking amazing!

faux said:
I'm sure Andy Carroll's Barn Door Deluxe that went for just under £80k about 3 years ago.

Burnt to ashes last year too :(

I have personally been offered £18000 for mine pretty resently which was cool.
What do you drive ? Any pics on here ? Thats good money,i take it you declined the offer ?

It really depends on how much work you can do yourself as there are still some bargains to be had (ask me how i know ) but if you want a jump in and drive then i'm afraid your going to have to pay.

Whats this about bargains ? ;)

Burnt to ashes last year too
:shock: bloody hell,can you get agreed value on something like that ? I hope so or someones seriously out of pocket.

Dunno what im gonna get for mine but (in 3 ish years) i want to sell mine and get my alltime dream car.
Then buy a resto Bay and start again :mrgreen:

Rich

A vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay. It doesn't matter how much money has been put into it.
If I added up all the parts, bills etc i've spent over the years I know it would pass the £20k mark and I'd never get that back but I don't do it for that.
For me its passion not profit :D (or madness :lol: )

Have a look at some of the buses Drew Colome has forsale. I've seen some of his buses advertises at over $100,000. pretty much the best of the best.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Colome-Motors/162368720448555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was offered £25k for mine last year by a customer that uses us for paint work, he rides mountain bikes and wanted it to lob his bikes in the back :shock:
Needless to say i told him to go forth and multiply ;)
Nelly

bay dreamer said:
It really depends on how much work you can do yourself as there are still some bargains to be had (ask me how i know ) but if you want a jump in and drive then i'm afraid your going to have to pay.

As said earlier, it depends on how much work your willing to do your self, There are some solid buses that need a little TLC but people are put off because the paint work doesn't shine, or because it needs a little bit of welding. A few weekends work and you have a solid bus for a lot less than if you bought it as a 'jump in and drive away' bus

See the traders on here (Graham L, FBI, Scott Wilson - if you want RHD) these guys are importing buses in this condition and it works out alot cheaper IF your prepared to do the work yourself

maddog said:
A vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay. It doesn't matter how much money has been put into it.
If I added up all the parts, bills etc i've spent over the years I know it would pass the £20k mark and I'd never get that back but I don't do it for that.
For me its passion not profit :D (or madness :lol: )

Here Here!!! spot on mate! :D

oh nothing against the original post, perfectly valid point!!!!

bay dreamer said:
I have personally been offered £18000 for mine pretty resently which was cool.
What do you drive ? Any pics on here ? Thats good money,i take it you declined the offer ?

Burnt to ashes last year too
:shock: bloody hell,can you get agreed value on something like that ? I hope so or someones seriously out of pocket.

Pics in my thread here http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20&start=440" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I declined the offer, and to be honest i have been offered over £17000 for mine 3 times, one day i will take them up on it! the funny thing is if i ever did go to sell it I bet the right buyer wouldnt be around and id get little over £15000 ;)

Pics in my thread here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=20&start=440

Bloody spooky that :shock: At the back end of last year i bought 2 years back issues of Camper and Bus mag and i'm currently reading the July 2008 issue with your bus splashed all over the front cover.Very nice looking bus thats the sort of look i like,subtle and complementary i think is says in the feature that about sums it up.Mint

If you ever decide to let it go for that 15k PM me :lol:

Latest posts