Wheels rubbing on body work

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craigie76

Reaction score
Hi,

The NS rear wheel is rubbing on the body work. Previous owner fitted new steel wheels running 185/55/15 tyres. I have a 1968 bus. The OS rear has maybe a 3mm gap between the tyre and rear panel. Is this just a case of wrong size wheels or something more serious?

Cheers.

craigie76 said:
Hi,

The NS rear wheel is rubbing on the body work. Previous owner fitted new steel wheels running 185/55/15 tyres. I have a 1968 bus. The OS rear has maybe a 3mm gap between the tyre and rear panel. Is this just a case of wrong size wheels or something more serious?

Cheers.

The 185/55/15's seem to be far too low profile for a standard gear box, I would up it to at least 185/65/15's, not that that will help with the rubbing.

It sounds like the wheels have the wrong offset, though the arches can be pulled by a few mm's without any damage.

How many arches are fitted on that side? Two, three? :roll:
Funny that, my n/s rear did the same until I cut the bodged arches off the inside. They were hammered in so the new ones could be fitted over the top.

Have to edit previous post...tyres are actually 185/65/15 must of been blind when reading tyre size.

The tyres are rubbing on the pretruding lip of the rear panels if this helps.

What offset should the wheels be?

IMG_0056-1.jpg

IMG_0057.jpg

Couple of pics :D

Aha now that doesnt look like a standard rim, looks like a 356 replica rim which is 5 " or 5.5" wide and not 4.5" as standard.
Mine runs on 185.60.15 on these rims (5.5") and it is close, but not touching. I would guess you can just pull your arch a little bit to make a little more room.

see photos of mine.

100_0836.jpg

I've since lowered mine a bit more, so the tyre sits high in th earch and clears the arch a little more

I bought some BRMs last year and had the same issue but on the off side. I tried pulling the arch out a little but over did it and have distorted the arch. Be careful if you attempt this. I wish I had just gone out and bought a slightly narrower tyre instead.

Gone to a body shop for a price to flare the arches. Not sure how much yet but may look good once dropped a few inches. Quite like how the original minis look with big arches and wide wheels.

Have you tried swapping the wheels over, n/s to o/s, to see if the problem is the arch or wheel? While they're off just take a quick measurement from the inner lip to the inner arch above the chassis leg to compare.

Latest posts