Where is my fuel going??

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mginty

Reaction score
South of Bristol somewhere in Somerset....
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Dormobile
I don't drive my van often and I've noticed that I always seem to be empty when I get back in so I did a proper scientific experiment ( :lol: )
Filled up to just up to 3/4 and took photo of gauge & mileage: 34413
Went to get MOT checkover (yes I know doesn't need it but still...)
Got van back and guage showing as empty and mileage: 34435

So in 22 miles I've done 3/4 tank!

I can't smell petrol anywhere (no more than 'usual' in the garage) and there doesn't seem to be a leak.
The seal in the filler cap is brittle so could it be evaporating here?
Or could the sender be flaky? Don't think it's this as when I fill up it displays.
Any ideas anyone?
If I rock the van I can hear fuel sloshing - any tips on how to check what's in the tank?
thanks

Went to fill mine today. Fuel gauge decided to pack up. So no indication what so ever. Unless you have an overwhelming stench of fuel I would say it's your sender. There was a thread on here (I think) about cutting into the metal on the back shelf above the tank in a precise measurement which gives u access to the sender unit in the tank. This allows you to remove and change it. You can then hinge the removed piece of metal for future access.

Concerns seemed to be Fire proofing into the van was void and your cutting up your van. U could remove engine and tank etc. Or just live with it which is what I think I will do until I lay up in the winter then I shall remove and sort the tank.

Just jumped in van an hour later and fuel gauge back up and working :shock:

hmmm dont like the idea of cutting holes :( spoke to my garage and they had noticed it too when it went for the mot and he thought the gauge was the problem. I'll live with it for now; thinking of taking engine out over winter for a cleanup so will do it then thanks :)

def not foxes unless they know how to unlock the garage and de-activate the alarm :)

mginty said:
hmmm dont like the idea of cutting holes :( spoke to my garage and they had noticed it too when it went for the mot and he thought the gauge was the problem. I'll live with it for now; thinking of taking engine out over winter for a cleanup so will do it then thanks :)

def not foxes unless they know how to unlock the garage and de-activate the alarm :)

Cunning those foxes :msn4:

Latest posts