White knuckle driving

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
12 won’t be enough. If you buy a perfect bus it would still take 12 weeks of work to get it done. :mrgreen:
I have a single (!) toggle on my dormy roof, but there are two fabric straps with clasps on the inside which keep it locked down.

Ive recently changed my tyres and thought I’d update on tyre pressures as there is a formula we can follow to take the guesswork out. I know that people will have different experiences and so I’m not aiming to start a debate, just share what I’ve learnt….

my tyres side wall tells me that they have a max load of 950kg and a max pressure of 65psi. (What this is saying is that that at 65psi the tyre can carry 950kg safely. This may be over inflated for my van and reduce tyre performance… let’s do the calc and see)

1) divide 65 by 950 = 0.068

2) for front tyre, work out the weight of your van in kg and then have a guess at what percentage is on the front axle.

3) calculate the load in kg on the front axle.

4) divide that weight by the number of wheels on front axle (normally ‘2’) (I know someone will have a different number/different experience lol)

5) So, you then take this number of kg for a wheel and (for me I) multiply by 0.068.

This gives me a pressure for a front tyre optimised as per the manufacturers assessment for the tyre strength .

6) repeat for rear wheel load in kg x 0.068 (for my tyres)

you can rerun this for conditions of loaded and unloaded vehicles, and it should work on any tyre on any vehicle providing the max load of the tyre exceeds the applied load

I appreciate this deviates from the ‘white knuckle’ title, but in my defence I’m now trying an 8ply commercial tyre to see if that makes a difference to side winds….

nexen 195r14 ct8. They look right and drive nice so far, but not had side winds yet. I’m hoping the above calc has me using the right pressures

Ive recently changed my tyres and thought I’d update on tyre pressures as there is a formula we can follow to take the guesswork out. I know that people will have different experiences and so I’m not aiming to start a debate, just share what I’ve learnt….

my tyres side wall tells me that they have a max load of 950kg and a max pressure of 65psi. (What this is saying is that that at 65psi the tyre can carry 950kg safely. This may be over inflated for my van and reduce tyre performance… let’s do the calc and see)

2) for front tyre, work out the weight of your van in kg and then have a guess at what percentage is on the front axle.

4) divide that weight by the number of wheels on front axle (normally ‘2’) (I know someone will have a different number/different experience lol)

5) So, you then take this number of kg for a wheel and (for me I) multiply by 0.068.

This gives me a pressure for a front tyre optimised as per the manufacturers assessment for the tyre strength .

you can rerun this for conditions of loaded and unloaded vehicles, and it should work on any tyre on any vehicle providing the max load of the tyre exceeds the applied load

I appreciate this deviates from the ‘white knuckle’ title, but in my defence I’m now trying an 8ply commercial tyre to see if that makes a difference to side winds….

nexen 195r14 ct8. They look right and drive nice so far, but not had side winds yet. I’m hoping the above calc has me using the right pressures
Glad to see some ‘ specific scientific’. evaluation going on here. To top up, this thread, I’m now running Maxxis A/T Worm Drive which are commercially rated and running at 36/38 front rear and it’s fab. Just as a proper kick in the gonads I’ve raised the whole bus to about stock and plus half /three quarters an inch in height. Apart from very severe one off gusts, there dosent seem to be any noticeable change. If I had to put money on it, I’d say it’s better raised than when it was lowered. My only reasons or thoughts on this is possibly by being raised, the van isn’t catching as much because , A, These commercial type tyres don’t flex as much ?, B , the wind can get over the van and under the van at the same time, C, I havent driven as much. D, I’ve taken the little front roof rack off and that may have a small bearing on it. E. It just hasn’t been so windy I’d say A. B. And D. Interesting to hear how others have experienced especially after de lowering their vans. Big thick anti toll sounds a great upgrade.

Ozziedog',,,,,, Hhhmmmppphh :)

This is okay as an initial approximation of load-rating for a given inflation-pressure, but note that the actual inflation-pressure versus load-rating of tyres is non-linear!

Had an interesting one last weekend coming home from the Dubs At The Castle, so belting along on the old M4 and going over the old Severn Bridge with re runs of one of my former eventful trips playing like movies in my head. I was ready for the wind change as I passed the pylons but still didn’t realise just how strong the wind was. I was fine tacking against the wind and the van was solid as can be, until I passed the pylons. I checked in my mirrors etc that I was reasonably on my own which was just as well because I nearly hit the other side of bridge. I went right out into the fast lane and close to the barriers too. When I got off , I rang back to some of my friends and told them to go the other way over the new bridge which has wind deflector systems fitted to it. They also had a bit of a blow about and that bridge is normally as safe as. So the upshot of this seems to be, it’s a big slab sided chunk of van.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,go steady peeps :cool:

Mrs Windy Pants is out again today peeps so might be an idea to keep them old bays off the open highways until she’s shut up. Storm Agnes I think she’s called. They don’t seem to have any cool names for them do they. I mean it could have been storm Andrea or storm Athena or storm Alison couldn’t it, we’ll maybe not because we all know the abbreviation and the song that goes with that one don’t we.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,Alice,,,,Alice,,,, who the blow is Alice. :unsure:

Mrs Windy Pants is out again today peeps so might be an idea to keep them old bays off the open highways until she’s shut up. Storm Agnes I think she’s called. They don’t seem to have any cool names for them do they. I mean it could have been storm Andrea or storm Athena or storm Alison couldn’t it, we’ll maybe not because we all know the abbreviation and the song that goes with that one don’t we.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,Alice,,,,Alice,,,, who the blow is Alice. :unsure:

Storm Agnes seems to have bypassed S. E. Essex, with hardly a leaf ruffled here on Canvey Island!

Latest posts