Why does nothing fit!

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete nice

Reaction score
It gets me down when I spend hard earned cash on brand new parts for my van.

I have bought what I thought would be the best parts for my van.

First the side window rubbers don't fit as they are too fat & the window won't go in. Now yesterday I fitted up the front door with new window trim & scrapers. These are just crap! They don't line up properly & the clips are way too tight for the holes in the doors. I have had to trim the sliding door seal to make the door shut properly without sticking out be half an inch.

It seems everything is just rubbish & takes ages & a lot of patience to fit. I was in no rush yesterday, but the trim just doesn't sit right. Fitting up a car after paint is a shit job!

VENT YOUR ANGER HERE!!!

Where are you buying from? All my trim and seals come from Status, and costs more, but usually fits a treat!

One thing making thing worse is the part numbers.Alot of these have now been moved to the new bus bits.A totally diferent bit to what you thought you ordered!

I HATE Scrapper kits !!..the clip ping off when they want to..half hour of looking for it to find its snapped!My new one looked worse than the old one i took off!!

Heard loads of bad stories about fitting scrapers.
Bought all my rubbers from C&C, the dearer German ones, all fitted easy and the doors shut with no probs and no leaks, defo worth paying the extra. :wink:

yeah i think the problem is that repro, is usualy shit! i hate buying repro stuff, i prefer to buy half tidy guenuine, I have spent to many hours trying to get crap to fit!

Me and the wife fitted 2 window rubbers last week. Both fitted easy. Both from Status, like everyone says "status rubbers fitt" and they are well worht the extra pennys

pete nice said:
It gets me down when I spend hard earned cash on brand new parts for my van.

I have bought what I thought would be the best parts for my van.

First the side window rubbers don't fit as they are too fat & the window won't go in. Now yesterday I fitted up the front door with new window trim & scrapers. These are just crap! They don't line up properly & the clips are way too tight for the holes in the doors. I have had to trim the sliding door seal to make the door shut properly without sticking out be half an inch.

It seems everything is just rubbish & takes ages & a lot of patience to fit. I was in no rush yesterday, but the trim just doesn't sit right. Fitting up a car after paint is a shit job!

VENT YOUR ANGER HERE!!!
Spent 3 evnings doing my 2 front doors on my old 74 Bus. When i thought id finnished i found both door window inner scrapers hidden away at the bottom of the box that my rubbers came in.
Walked over to my van with them,opend the door,looked, then walked away.
Nightmare start to finnish.
I used JK for my rubbers,you?

I've got 2 brand new doors and 2 scraper kits to fit to them, not a job i'm looking forward to but it needs doing.
Whats the best way to attack the scrapers? Is it easier to fit the doors then the scrapers or is fir the scrapers before fitting the doors?

Scrapers go in just before the drop glass.
If you got JK send em back or bin em :roll:
Status or C&C

I am a big fan of Status and buy all my seals and rubbers from them.

But.....on my brothers bus I used the JK door kit as we were planning on selling it on and felt we couldn't justify the extra cost. They went in ok and do the job fine. It helps that I have done a few of these before though.

I bought new rubbers from C&C, they didn't go in as easy as I thought they would, but they did go in ok.

DSC00490.jpg

The front door seal kits came from SSP, they are not the best quality, but were a keen price. Some of the clips broke when I fitted them & the trim didn't seem to sit in the door properly. I have had to trim the sliding door rubber to get it to close snug, I haven't tried to fit the front door rubbers yet...

DSC00491.jpg

I have managed to fit all the windows now. The last few I did on my own just to prove to myself I am not a complete cabbage!

DSC00511.jpg

I fitted a shiny step & it was an easy fit, that was from JK, so I was happy with that.

Just the front door rubbers to go now, so fingers crossed.

I use only rubber from Wolfsburg West in all of my bay and split restorations, the crucial ones are German, slider door, rear hatch, etc. THe rear side windows go in super easy when you pull the slider door cover, and the dummy cover on the opposite side. I just fitted one last week for a customer, grandson got carried away with an air rifle... No complaints on the WW rubber, it's probably the same high end German ones you are referring to. For small rubber seals, I find the best quality from a friend of mine named Simon, here's his ebay shop:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/notch1500-VW-Parts_VW-New-Parts_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZ6120062QQftidZ2QQtZkm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He has his made in Thailand, where he lives half the year. The rubber is so soft and supple, can't believe the quality! There are several UK suppliers that only buy certain bits from him, I'm not at liberty to say who! I shared a plot with him at Vanfest last two years. His stuff is spot on, filled my suitcase for the return trip last month...

Latest posts