Winnie - Our 1970 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 7185

View attachment 7186

I decided on this windscreen aerial and this powered splitter as I wanted to retain FM if at all possible. I forgot to even try the FM on our last trip as DAB worked well.

Only downside with the aerial is you have to scrape some paint off the pillar to attach the grounding foil, but the foil covers everything once installed 👍
Thanks for the info. Wasn’t sure this style antenna would work 👍

It’s Winnie’s MOT time again next week, blimey that comes round quick.

2 Advisories from last year:-

Slight leak on steering box output, which I sorted straight after by fitting the spare box I’d previously refurbed.

Front brake lines and tbf they were in need of replacing, but after I’d replaced the rounded front bleed screws and replaced brake fluid after MOT, I knew the hard lines could wait until winter.

IMG_7350.jpeg

IMG_7349.jpeg

IMG_7358.jpeg

IMG_7356.jpeg

IMG_7355.jpeg

IMG_7354.jpeg

It was nice to see some nice original lotus white under the chassis grommet when doing the front and that the master cylinder was in good nick once all the Shultz was removed.

Refilled the fluid and left my bleeder pressurised over night to check for leaks. No leaks next day so bled through and took for test drive, All good.

Also had a good wire brush underneath (while still filthy) and treated chassis, chassis bed and front beam with 3 in 1 rust converter and undersealed the front arches and front inner valance.

Just need to use put some of the 3 in 1 on the back section of chassis now the van’s in the garage back end out.

Next step, get some sites booked for later in March 👍

Early start for Winnie’s MOT tomorrow down at Wilson’s Garage in Rhuddlan. Great place, real old school VW Mechanics.

IMG_7387.jpeg

Did an oil change, so thought I’d check the sender as I was seeing too great a difference between gauge and 123 dizzy temp value.

IMG_7389.jpeg

Looks as though I was right, 100 deg C at sender is reading 120 deg C at gauge. Might stick a 20ohm resistor in-line to bring it closer. At least actual is lower than display 👍

IMG_7390.jpeg

Fingers crossed for tomorrow 🤞

🙈 I know Mike, genuine schoolboy error, and after spending all that time on the front end too 🤣.

I had a serious word with myself and as a punishment have been rolling around under the van this afternoon fitting a new accelerator cable 👍

Last edited:
Fitted a Lares 209 Steering Coupler today that I got as part of a group buy over on LB

IMG_7426.jpeg

Old v New

IMG_7427.jpeg

OEM has a fair bit of flex

IMG_7428.jpeg

Lares 209 has a lot less flex

IMG_7435.jpeg

Managed to do it all from underneath, went for a test drive and noticed a significant improvement. Horn still works as well which is a bonus 👍

Took Winnie for a spin down the road to Rhos on Sea today as it was such a nice day. They’ve done a load of work on the beach and promenade recently and really looks brilliant plus the free parking is back too.

IMG_7447.jpeg

IMG_7448.jpeg

IMG_7444.jpeg

IMG_7445.jpeg

IMG_7446.jpeg

b16cc8bf-c8c2-413f-8072-5bf4c2309865.jpeg
Had a great afternoon, new steering coupler is brilliant, what a transformation 👍

Off to Welshpool on Monday, the season is well and truly underway 👍

Attachments

• IMG_7445.jpeg
    IMG_7445.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Last day down Llangadfan Mid Wales. Had a couple of days out to Welshpool along the A458 which is a great road. Can’t believe the difference the new steering coupler has made, van feels totally planted now and is great through the twistys. Tweaked the 123 curve before leaving as I noticed there was a bit too much advance when in the Welsh 20 zones in 3rd. Also noticed that there’s no need to to all in by 3000 or 3500, so have moved that to 3800 and oil temp has benefitted from this significantly 👍

IMG_7452.jpeg

IMG_7453.jpeg

We’ve had 4 seasons in 1 day today, not that that has bothered Frankie in anyway 🤣👍

Last edited:

Latest posts