Winnie - Our 1970 Bay

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
d9d3120a87b85ab2896e44d145f40434.jpg

Cheers guys ... had a cracking day at Llandudno today, weather’s been so kind this week. It’s our last night tonight and we would stay here another week if we could, after all we’re going home to lockdown in West Lancashire ... whoopie doo.

Winnie has been flawless all week, managed to iron out a small backfire with a few tweaks and plug checks, she’s really enjoyed the country lanes round here.

Hoping to get at least another 2 / 3 jaunts before winter ... absolutely love this journey.

The field is full of T5’s n 6’s now ... but we’re the envy of all those city slickers [emoji6]

1a2672ab4a78082379a81980f55c43dc.jpg

Ozzie, me n Frankie polished all the Stella off on Day 1 ... it’s been SAN Miguel all the way since then [emoji322][emoji106][emoji481]

And GVee get that van over to the island pronto [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tell that Frankie to go a bit steady on it, I’ve heard Frankie might not be over eighteen and you know what them young uns are like on mixing their drinks.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,cheers folks,,,,and cheers Frankie :mrgreen:

Nice pics. I love N. Wales and so does our bus Alberta. Anglesey is great, we were up there early August, there are so many great beaches that only the locals know about.

As above - awesome pics and sounds like you all had a great trip
Nice one :)

matty74 said:
399341d65ecede1e637aa57bc0c8dc9f.jpg

Cheers Mike ... more Beer changes than gear changes today ... had a peaceful day at base camp [emoji106]

Those cobb grills were the business on the campsite where we stayed too!
We were treated by great smells :p

db8baf3d8cb8491c64adf77a616eabfe.jpg

We’ve struck gold again, all packed up and ready to go last night, phone call at 19:45 cancelling our booking in Colvend due to the site being waterlogged ... Managed to book Castle Cary Site at very short notice and 180 miles later here we are.

8ba11241bad0b473ffeac54688100fe2.jpg

Frankie is in Camper heaven [emoji106]

Cheers Mike, the site really gets slated in the reviews and based on that we probably wouldn’t have booked it but it was a needs must scenario.

It’s a shame because it could be a cracking site, it’s just been neglected and money hasn’t been invested in updating the toilets etc ... having said that, the cleaning staff are always cleaning, but you can only clean what’s in front of you.

There’s a lovely pub on site called the lairds arms, you can eat and drink outside and the food was spot on. Plus there’s a great woodland walk into Creetown village from the site which continues on through Ballach wood ... we ended up doing 6 miles yesterday

99e93c7aab4f2e96525767316a51e141.jpg

Frankie’s having a sit down protest today after that distance [emoji1787]

Weather wasn’t so great this morning, but it’s brightened up now and will stay good until we leave on Wednesday.

Winnie passed through 90k on the way up ... for how many times now is anyone’s guess [emoji1787]

Packed up this morning and headed back home, it’s been a great break and we’ve been fairly lucky with the weather.

727ef1a89d1b6adc3db102981305fd5f.jpg

It was only the 2nd time we’ve used the porch awning instead of the airbeam driveway and it worked a treat for a short break.

a194d1344c46d35c265a6969ea438af9.jpg

We’d definitely return to this area, ideal if you just want to chill and walk rather than driving to explore.

9e0d559e0e80823cb464b1ca3f50840e.jpg

Frankie had a great time.

dd9cdee1264a6a32f251885ed31bdfe0.jpg

So we were half way home and decided to stop at Southwaite services just north of Penrith, just as we were approaching the turn off I commented to the Mrs that we’d not seen any Bays on our travels. We pull onto the Services Car Park and there’s a lovely red Westy ... then I took a closer look and blooming heck it’s only Mike202 from on here ... what a coincidence.

Great to meet you and the Mrs Mike ... lovely lovely Bus and wow what an engine bay. Hope you had a good day in Keswick.

Winnie did us proud there and back, covering just shy of 400 miles. Really enjoying the single vac advance dizzy change, the hill climbs were a breeze.

The cab diesel heater was absolutely brilliant too ... we were warm and toasty there and back on a fairly low setting.

Hoping to squeeze in 1 more trip (maybe 2) before the end of November

Loverly pics and story - great that you managed to squeeze in another break :)

Getting Winnie MOT’d in a couple of weeks time so needed to get in the garage and give her the once over.

Checked valve clearances while I was underneath, really pleased with my new garage flooring.

0dba7d3d191f0a95687c733f4c88e2ba.jpg

Oh and the much needed diesel heater [emoji3063]

f999884146f6db32eeb614829b676e28.jpg

Loving the floor!!! Chomping at the bit to get back under mine......Things to be done!!!! :lol: :lol:

Keep safe.

J & P
:D :D :D

fallingoffalot said:
Nice floor, is it rubber? I'm thinking of doing something similar, does is get slippery when wet?
Hi mate, it’s foam rubber similar to the sort you get in gyms. I only have it at the rear of the garage (2.4m x 1.8m) as I wouldn’t want to Jack up or fit axle stands on it.

Not really got it wet as yet ... but I’m a clumsy sod so it’s only a matter of time.

Flooring is on Amazon ... £14 per pack [emoji106]

Hi mate,

I love it ... I knew what to expect as we have one on the van (not the all in one version) piped into the totem pole.

It’s a big garage so it’s going to struggle getting up to a high set point on a really cold day, but it blows out some really good heat over a long period. I was in there last week (when it was freezing outside) and it soon had my work area nice.

They run on hardly any diesel too ... take a bit of load on start up but then run at about 0.5-1A once fired up.

I have the rotary control module in the van which I prefer as the digital display is a bit naff as you have to be directly in front to see it ... having said that it has a remote control for on / off ... up / down.

I just piped the exhaust outside, with the air intake inside the garage and fitted a gas detector above the unit. I run it off a leisure battery hooked up to some solar panels (this also keeps my van charged as I don’t use the electric in the garage when I have a tenant in at the house)

It now means I’m not put off by the weather when needing to do jobs [emoji106]

Wish I’d had it a few weeks earlier when I had the front off the wife’s mini to replace the turbo oil feed pipe [emoji3063][emoji3587]

Well worth the money I think [emoji106]

Cheers Mike [emoji3] ... I’m not planning to spend too much time in the Noisy Cupboard (as Ozzie calls it [emoji1787]) once Wagons Roll, but it’s a lot comfier in that vicinity now [emoji106]

Unfortunately Winnie failed her MOT on a leaking rear OS drum cylinder, no quibbles once I saw it.

Makes having the test worthwhile when something like that gets found after the van has been laid up for a while.

d0c8e5b19b5e91c20eb5b42ab746c084.jpg

So got busy replacing the hard lines and cylinders on both sides ... I don’t know their history so another unknown job ticked off the list.

d0b3fa6212bbf7619ff7e5c3dd220f78.jpg

Cleaned and painted the backing plates

bb68d6f71e90c49ac9761c9905af0ea2.jpg

Reassembled (oh I love those twisty locking pins [emoji2959]) then cleaned everything up before getting the drums back on.

3152ad344d1763b92bd3efe4e84f4181.jpg

Will top up and bleed through on tomorrow’s visit.

5be2918c3a309206b5548df1f3a412b2.jpg

The removed cylinders weren’t in a great state ... as you can see.

On the plus side, one of the advisories was slight play on the NS rear so I can make sure I go an extra notch on the castle nut this time. It did come undone a tad easier than the OS nut.

Should have her all sorted in time for the retest early next week.

Stay Safe folks

Latest posts