Winter use -demister and heating etc?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crammy69

Reaction score
Loved driving the bus this summer and ideally would like to keep driving it during the winter so i don't have to buy and insure another car. But, my bus has no demister ( just the grills ) or heat exchangers fitted. I don't think heat exchangers can be fitted due to the funky exhaust.

If I bought one of them propex gas wotsits would this do winscreen de-misting as well as heat the rear of the cabin? as it seems I could live without heat but if the windows frozen or misted up then its not drivable in winter.

Is there anywhere proffessional that would supply and fit all the tubes and so on required to make a propex thing do what I need? Or do I accept this is a summer only thing?

Cheers
Simon

Toad said:
Vans de-mist fine if they are fitted with heat exchangers and all the correct pipe work. :D
I guess, but given my exhaust prevents them what plan b is there ? I've just been looking at the justkampers site and they have heated front and rear screens! Didn't know you could get that :lol:

you could fit a propex and just pipe it into the totem, if you have no exchangers then block the totem off under the belly pan so it only has a short run, lovely and toasty!

Matt_B said:
Heated front screen :)

I have one, just need to wire it in with the correct wires and relays!
Would a normal auto glass type fella be able to do this you reckon? Are the relays and wiring hard to get or fit in some way? Sounds like a good option heated screen and a thick jumper job done ! Mind you the Ida of lovely heated van also sounds nice if more cost/ grief , if it could be done for 5/600 quid cheaper than insurance and tax on another car...

Plan B

Buy a cheapo exhaust and heat exchangers so you can use the heat to defog your windscreeen like intended.

When my bus was running it was ace in Montana winters!

Cruised all over in winter and never had any windcreen problems...

Seen these had one in a bus I rented once it worked reasonably well

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Beetle_Products~Beetle_Exhaust_and_Heating_Products~Beetle_Heating_System~Beetle_Aftermarket_Heaters/AC9980698/Electric_Demister.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RichardAlexander said:

http://www.coolairvw.co.uk/Item/Shop_by_Vehicle~Beetle_Products~Beetle_Exhaust_and_Heating_Products~Beetle_Heating_System~Beetle_Aftermarket_Heaters/AC9980698/Electric_Demister.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers, looks a bit more substantial than the eBay cigar lighter version i Bought from eBay ( ver poor )

Crammy69 said:
Matt_B said:
Heated front screen :)

I have one, just need to wire it in with the correct wires and relays!
Would a normal auto glass type fella be able to do this you reckon? Are the relays and wiring hard to get or fit in some way? Sounds like a good option heated screen and a thick jumper job done ! Mind you the Ida of lovely heated van also sounds nice if more cost/ grief , if it could be done for 5/600 quid cheaper than insurance and tax on another car...

Have a word with Paul at VW Down Under, he fitted one to a Bay i had, he's just up the road from you.

Crammy69 said:
RichardAlexander said:

Cheers, looks a bit more substantial than the eBay cigar lighter version i Bought from eBay ( ver poor )

Anyone tried one of these ?

I bought one of the kits to pipe heat from the propex to the front but didn't end up fitting it. I found that just running the propex for a few minutes while running (I have my controller in the front) clears the glass anyhow. Before I had the heater I used to apply Rainex Antifog...that worked pretty good too.

Hello

i have heated front screen

and it work very well

easy too fit and wire in

i would recomend to fit one

i have heat exchangers also , too warm my toes in winter

karl

Thanks gents, I'm leaning towards a propex heater but still am quite reluctant to have holes cut in my van for the venting :shock: , any known good fitters of these things?

Fitters for these are hard to find. Mark at Autoteknics did mine in the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

you can get a kit that pipes the propex through your vans heating vents. Or put it behind the seat with the out let in the walkthrough and face it forward

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Heated front screen:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_CO-Windscreen-Clear-Heated-T2-68-79-12v-38amps-211845101HEAT_act_shop.product_pID_104044.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and wiring kit, this is for the rear iof a bug can but be used:

http://www.vwheritage.com/vw_spares_Heated-rear-window-wiring-kit-Inc-relay-switch-NO-INSTRUCT!-111898999_act_shop.product_pID_118931.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

70-CA-Panel said:
Plan B

Buy a cheapo exhaust and heat exchangers so you can use the heat to defog your windscreeen like intended.

When my bus was running it was ace in Montana winters!

Cruised all over in winter and never had any windcreen problems...

WHS^^^

this may turn out to be the cheapest option -unless your engine type prevents fitting standard exhaust and HXs.

Latest posts