Wipers seized not working RHD Australian import

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Microbus
Hi, I have an original RHD 71 Australian import spent all its life with out using its wipers. Been in Uk for a few years now. Previous owner never been out in rain. Took it out a while ago and got caught out in the rain. Wipers started making groan and grinding noise whilst slowing down and gradually getting worse and eventually grinding to a halt. Think it must be many years of no use and all moving parts are seized. I want to replace the whole motor unit etc.
Its my first bus and want to tinker and learn to maintain it. Any advise appreciated.

Thanks

Stuart

The spindles have most likely seized in the bronze bushings , if you remove the whole unit it is possible to strip and clean . Remove the small C clip on spindle and heat the bronze section and there is a good chance of getting spindle out, clean and a good grease should fix it.

As Dav says, lube is critical and have a good look to see if theres any tell tales of heat anywhere as said ^^^ . Good possibility that you’ve blown a fuse to boot. This Australian type of van is the only one in the world that has right hand drive wipers as all others have left hand drive wipers, if you look on your front panel , you’ll see two grommets where the ordinary wipers would have been fitted by VW. As you’ve previously indicated, these have not been used much and are the original items, I’d add that they probably haven’t much wear in them because of that. I’d also add that they’re probably far superior to any replacement that is now currently available, so get them lubed and working . Just wiggling may indicate, exactly what has seized. Also not sure if there’s any difference in Ozzy RHD motors and linkages to Regular LHD wipers that the rest of us have.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,, not a lot of people knows that :)

I recommend putting a intermittent on because if they are left on for long periods of time they get hot and wear out , hence seize

Dependent upon model-year, 1968~79 VW Type 2s came with either LHD or RHD configuration front windscreen wipers. To find out how they differ, it might be useful to enroll on the Australian Kombi Club forum, of which I am also a member.

If your 1971 VW Type 2 windscreen wipers were never used whilst in Australia, it's possible that the mechanism might be clogged up with fine dust from the outback. It might be worth simply removing the complete wiper system, then cleaning, lubricating, reassembling and refitting.

Latest posts