Wiring Mess..

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superfunkyfresh

Reaction score
My engine bay currently is a rats nest, I'm not too happy about it as there seem to be some dodgy extensions of wires etc, so I want to drop the engine and sort it all out. I am trying to make sure I cover everything so here goes..

Coil.

+ I have black wire from ignition
+ A red wire ( to distributor (I think Petronix))
- A Black wire (in a small loom with red wire above(Petronix))
- feed to the rev counter

Oil Pressure Switch (left hand side of engine bay under distributor)

Single green and blue wire

Alternator

Smaller wire ( fault lamp feeder wire)
Larger wire to battery connection.

What other wiring/sensors am i missing? Anything? I have purchased a kit from 67 panel on here to introduce a relay for the ignition switch, electric fuel pump, leisure battery, so I want to tie it all in nice..

20130731_205730_zps4520c99d.jpg

Thats how she sits at the moment.

Also I noticed a large hole to the left of the RHS heater pipe, what should be in there??

the hole is for the pre-heat pipe to the stock air filter, which you should have. Those in the know call the type you have installed "instant rebore kits" since they filter bugger all, and you'll wind up with scored cylinders eventually... they also don't have a hot air feed so don't help with fuel condensation in the inlet manifold, a big contributor to flat spots just off idle.
more importantly, leaving a big hole in your tinware will allow hot air to enter your cooling system- which tends to render the cooling system a bit useless- like pouring boiling water into the radiator of a water-cooled car and expecting it to still work.

as for your wiring, the only one you're missing is the small loom from coil + to the automatic choke and idle cutoff valve on the carburettor.

Cheers mate,

I have some 34ICT's to fit onto her so shall I look to plate over that hole then? My tinware needs some work doing so might as well do it all in a oner..

Cheers

Get some rubber grommets for the heater pipes where they go through the tinware - will stop the tin cutting into them. It looks like they aren't there.

Matt_B said:
Get some rubber grommets for the heater pipes where they go through the tinware - will stop the tin cutting into them. It looks like they aren't there.

Nah, they aren't there, the heater system looks shagged, something I need to sort out for the winter.. Seems simple enough though.

Happystamps said:
as for your wiring, the only one you're missing is the small loom from coil + to the automatic choke and idle cutoff valve on the carburettor.

Will I remove these when it comes to the ICT's? I'm not sure if they need any wiring.

superfunkyfresh said:
Matt_B said:

Nah, they aren't there, the heater system looks shagged, something I need to sort out for the winter.. Seems simple enough though.

Happystamps said:

Will I remove these when it comes to the ICT's? I'm not sure if they need any wiring.

thinking about it, of course you're right. ICTs don't have any electrical bits.

Latest posts