Won't start....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fallingoffalot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, last ran van a month or so ago, went to start it today to go and get some stuff that won't fit in my car, and there were a few coughs and splutters but almost flattened battery. I've had to crank it a bit in the past after a short layup, but nothing like this. Battery on charge, is it worth just cranking it again or shall I try something else, maybe I've flooded it?

Fuel goes off pretty quickly these days. It might look clean etc. but if the volatility is gone it will be a nightmare to start... if at all.
So if you've had it off the road for a while and the fuel in the tank is say a month or more old... Might be worth putting some fresh in... Just in case.

This has caught me out in the past.

Good Luck 🤞

It's worth getting a CTEK charger that you can leave on the battery all the time when you aren't using the bus for long periods. The cold weather really is bad for car batterys. Then you have to cane the battery even more by trying to start the engine three or four times because there's no petrol in the carbs. I also have a mech pump so do the same.

If you can't find a CTEK for a good price, then a NOCO Genius 5 is a great alternative. It also does Normal, AGM, & Lithium. I think mine was about 60 quid in Halfords.

It's worth getting a CTEK charger that you can leave on the battery all the time when you aren't using the bus for long periods. The cold weather really is bad for car batterys. Then you have to cane the battery even more by trying to start the engine three or four times because there's no petrol in the carbs. I also have a mech pump so do the same.
I got a CTEK (7 I think) a few years ago and I've always had it on my leisure battery as this seemed to gradually drain - maybe the stereo has a small draw.

Is there a way to put the CTEK on the other side of the split charger so it diverts when the main battery is full? Actually I've got a Porsche branded CTEK, that I've only just remembered about, I could use 2 chargers :)

The conclusion I came to is that if my garage stinks of petrol then the bus will start on the 2nd crank, if it doesn't then it'll take ages!

I just swap mine between the car and LB but mainly keep it on the car battery. I have a split charger and I always thought the LB got topped up from the CTEK being on the car battery. However I am not so sure about this now, so occasionally connect the CTEK to the LB directly. If you are going to use two chargers, I would make sure the batteries are isolated from each other, i.e. disconnect the split charger.

When starting the engine after say a couple of weeks or so, try slowly pressing and releasing the accelerator pedal a couple of times before turning the igniton to crank the motor over. This will squirt some petrol into the carbs. If you have an inline solenoid you will need to do this on first stage ignition so fuel can get through.

I got a CTEK (7 I think) a few years ago and I've always had it on my leisure battery as this seemed to gradually drain - maybe the stereo has a small draw.

Is there a way to put the CTEK on the other side of the split charger so it diverts when the main battery is full? Actually I've got a Porsche branded CTEK, that I've only just remembered about, I could use 2 chargers :)

The conclusion I came to is that if my garage stinks of petrol then the bus will start on the 2nd crank, if it doesn't then it'll take ages!
If this is the scenario, then give your carb / s a little drink before trying to start. Might save a lot of wear and tear on your battery and starter especially, plus it’s just nicer if you seem to know what you’re doing. Just a milk container top full will do the trick.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, I should do this too :)