Your bus right now.

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Velgreeno

Reaction score
Hey folks. Just having a bit of a thinking session. Are you happy with your bus with everything at the moment in terms of mechanics, interior etc ? I was sat in mine earlier and i think im (sort of) ok with her right now. Still not 100% with the gearing as one or two of you might remember ha but i did a fair bit of adjusting etc and touch wood she is sorted but me being me, well that's a whole different show haha. Il find something soon that will make me go yeah thats next to be done ha. What about you folks ? How do you feel about yours right now out of interest?

I’d be happy if mine ran !… 😂
I bought the bare bones of a van a loooong time ago. Been ‘doing it up’ ever since. Always been a case of no time when the money was there / no money when time was available.
Was a mile away from running - now in the last few feet.
Was hoping last year would be the year … but Mrs got really ill and then I broke my back !! 🥴
Anyways all good now so need to get it done as my son want to go to school leaver party in it.
Love ….
Colour (Yellow / white roof)
Wheels (14” steels)
Dormobile conversion
Homemade rear seat covers
originality

don’t like …
The wiring loom I’ve nearly finished as it nearly finished me.
The fact that it’s now slowly corroding on drive.
Front drums - can’t afford disk conversion.
😎🌈👍

More or less happy with the way mine drives, disc conversion/drop spindles works (my own design adaptors to make early disc kit fit late spindles worked) and the Polo rack conversion works. A bigger engine and taller gears would be nice. Home made interior works for me, some more folding this year so I can use it (show tickets are expensive) would be nice!

Mine, fingers crossed, is pretty much ready to go following a check. It has been pretty much the same now, bar a few tweaks, for about ten years so in some ways I fancy changing something, but its very easy to just enjoy it and be grateful.

After 10 years of doing virtually nothing but enjoying it on camping trips and shows, last year the engine blew after a hard 250 mile slog back from Wales, I still blame the E10 fuel but in reality it probably just overheated blowing a hole in piston number 3. I took the engine out and had the bottom end rebuilt by C&C Autos then put on new cylinders and heads, while at it I replaced the single carb for a pair of twin Webber's - its never ran so good - loving it!

Attachments

• f1.jpg
    f1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    781.6 KB · Views: 2
After 10 years of doing virtually nothing but enjoying it on camping trips and shows, last year the engine blew after a hard 250 mile slog back from Wales, I still blame the E10 fuel but in reality it probably just overheated blowing a hole in piston number 3. I took the engine out and had the bottom end rebuilt by C&C Autos then put on new cylinders and heads, while at it I replaced the single carb for a pair of twin Webber's - its never ran so good - loving it!
Itching to get the twin Webber's on mine, brand new set sat on the shelf in my workshop. I looks like you managed to keep the oil bath stand in place, did it work out ok? It’s my dilemma and I don’t really want to cut the stand out. Did you mount the malpasi filter to it?

Cheers Dave M 👍

Itching to get the twin Webber's on mine, brand new set sat on the shelf in my workshop. I looks like you managed to keep the oil bath stand in place, did it work out ok? It’s my dilemma and I don’t really want to cut the stand out. Did you mount the malpasi filter to it?

Cheers Dave M 👍
Like you Dave, removing the stand concerned me, I've seen a few that look dodgy, I cut mine straight across the top to give enough access to the carb - I have kept the piece (roughly half) so I could easily weld back on if required - I don't have anything mounted on it

Gotcha, I took a screenshot of your pic and zoomed in. I mistakingly thought your pressure regulator was mounted to it but now I can see what you’ve done 👍

Reassuring to know you’re happy with the change, Is yours a 1641SP?

Cheers 👍

Cheers Dave M 👍

Drill the spot welds out and remove the entire thing. If you ever go back stock just spot weld it back in

Gotcha, I took a screenshot of your pic and zoomed in. I mistakingly thought your pressure regulator was mounted to it but now I can see what you’ve done 👍

Reassuring to know you’re happy with the change, Is yours a 1641SP?

Cheers 👍
Its a standard 1600 single port, I did consider going 1641 but opted for standard spec in the end - ever since I have owned it there has been a slight hesitance from low revs, a little splutter (not always) but whatever adjustments I made to timing or carbs was an annoyance, I got used to driving it like that by changing down the gears, however since fitting the twin carbs it will literally pull smooth in 4th at 10mph - should have done it years ago!

I feel very meh about mine. Feels like the galaxy/all other cosmic forces are against me ever getting it finished :( It really just needs the motor going back in (including new fuel/oil lines etc) and then some minor refits i.e. all door rubbers, bumper splash guards, rear lights etc etc.

And once that's all done it could really do with new shocks all round, and a different front beam (2" narrowed - not the 4" that it has).

I'm sure it'll all be done at some point...

I feel very meh about mine. Feels like the galaxy/all other cosmic forces are against me ever getting it finished :( It really just needs the motor going back in (including new fuel/oil lines etc) and then some minor refits i.e. all door rubbers, bumper splash guards, rear lights etc etc.

And once that's all done it could really do with new shocks all round, and a different front beam (2" narrowed - not the 4" that it has).

I'm sure it'll all be done at some point...
I feel your pain 🌈👍

Love mine but there is always stuff to do, couple of blisters that need sorting at some point, 240v hook up, get the radio working, heater would be good and the cushions need re-covering.

Would also like to go for a 3” narrowed beam at some point as I get a bit of tire rub.

All in good time 👍

Latest posts