Your Early Bay Picture of the Day .....

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Memories. Had the identical van back in the late 1970's. Green with white roof and she took us reliably all around British Columbia. I even think I still have the driver manual somewhere in the bookcase. Recently bought a 1971 project with a plan to repeat some of those experiences from long ago. Very Best.
Great memories, go for it.:) Please keep us posted when you do?

Great pic,!I have severe garage envy … it’s actually bigger than our last house
🤣
I’d keep those doors closed though as I think someone’s stolen your wheels
😜
👍

First outing in a couple months.
Had a spacer made for the carb to intake manifold as the accelerator pump arm fouled slightly on the generator.
While there checked the carb which was empty of fuel, filled it with fairly fresh super, but it didn’t want to start.
Noticed that the timing sparked at 1• BTDC eventhough when dizzy was loose for adjustment it was spot on. So tightening it advanced it slightly. Retarded the timing by 1• and it sparked right up!
So took it out for a 15mile drive and just caught the sunset.

Attachments

• D8306923-488E-4F36-B1D7-5B64CB561C79.jpeg
    D8306923-488E-4F36-B1D7-5B64CB561C79.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 14
  • D05C80E9-4EDC-40C4-89B4-B15D23E6F853.jpeg
    D05C80E9-4EDC-40C4-89B4-B15D23E6F853.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 13
Noticed that the timing sparked at 1• BTDC eventhough when dizzy was loose for adjustment it was spot on. So tightening it advanced it slightly. Retarded the timing by 1• and it sparked right up!
So took it out for a 15mile drive and just caught the sunset.
Awesome, does everybody know how to do that?:cool:

5C52630C-7ADB-4861-92A1-E5D5A5481D0A.jpegJust lost power on the A14. I think the coil packed in the heat as it blistered my hand when I touched it! That or electronic points died.On my own so couldn’t troubleshoot easily and proper scorching!

Oh man, sorry to hear you got stranded! Hope it’s just the coil or electric points.
My engine just cut out while on a trip from San Diego to San Francisco, got it down to the points arm broke, back on the road within 15min 😁
I try to always travel with the essential tools and replacement parts, as I don’t have recovery. If you have it you might as well use it to get towed back home to fix it at your own leisure out of the sun and away from traffic. Good luck!

Oh man, sorry to hear you got stranded! Hope it’s just the coil or electric points.
My engine just cut out while on a trip from San Diego to San Francisco, got it down to the points arm broke, back on the road within 15min 😁
I try to always travel with the essential tools and replacement parts, as I don’t have recovery. If you have it you might as well use it to get towed back home to fix it at your own leisure out of the sun and away from traffic. Good luck!
I was even more annoying! It wasn't electrical... There was no fuel being pumped. I noticed that there is a little shaft that had worked its way off the pump cam and out of the pump. I pulled it out with my fingers, poked a screw driver into the shaft and pushed the lifter up and down and could hear fuel. After a few pumps, I could push the shaft back in and it started first time. Two minutes to repair (minus going thought the ignition).

Now, I'm sure this shaft should have circlips on the ends but there are no groves on the shaft that I can see.

I was even more annoying! It wasn't electrical... There was no fuel being pumped. I noticed that there is a little shaft that had worked its way off the pump cam and out of the pump. I pulled it out with my fingers, poked a screw driver into the shaft and pushed the lifter up and down and could hear fuel. After a few pumps, I could push the shaft back in and it started first time. Two minutes to repair (minus going thought the ignition).

Now, I'm sure this shaft should have circlips on the ends but there are no groves on the shaft that I can see.
Ordered a new pump to be sure. It seems like it would have worked lose over time so this will be a reoccurring problem.

Latest posts