Hot Engine and Oil light on advice needed

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it’s a slightly worn stock motor that needs more than anything TLC. I use Halfords multi flavour oil especially designed for old bangers and this is more, much more than good enough.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,,, multi flavour,,,,,amaze yourself :) :cool::)
I've just had an oil change with 15w 40 mineral. Would topping it up with your 20 50 classic motor oil be ok? Or is it best practice to stick with the same grade?

I've just had an oil change with 15w 40 mineral. Would topping it up with your 20 50 classic motor oil be ok? Or is it best practice to stick with the same grade?

These are fairly primitive motors in their basic form as I’ve mentioned before. Oil is such a contentious subject. I personally don’t like to mix oils, even oils of the same brand as you’re just not sure how they’ll mix or even if they will mix nicely. You just can’t see what’s happening to it inside your engine. If it’s just had an oil change with 15-40 then I’d stick with that and keep it the same until your next oil change. If however, you are low on oil and miles from home and can’t get the exact same oil, that is different. Yes I’d top up with Halfords mineral or any mineral multi flavour just to get me home, then I’d check and see if there is any evidence of separation. If there was, I’d get it out and change the oil again. If you buy a gallon of Halfords classic for instance, then topped it up just to get you home, then you’d probably have enough for another oil change anyhow. I’m pretty sure that I am way way way over the top and then some with my oil in my motor, but I don’t like the alternative much either.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,, Best practice is stick with what’s in there I think :)

If this helps as its a real can of worms topic but to keep it simple, the 2 numbers for oil are measurements of thickness.

The W stands for winter (cold). So 10w (cold) is thinner than 20w(cold), and 40(hot) is thinner than 50(hot). In the UK 15W and 40 is ok. (so good down to -15 and up to 40deg outside)

So even though OD is right, not good practice to mix, in truth some oil is better than none and 15W40 isn't too far off 20W50.

Regular changes are good so if you've just bought a shed load of 20W50 for your next service or if its all you've got then it will be ok.

If this helps as its a real can of worms topic but to keep it simple, the 2 numbers for oil are measurements of thickness.

The W stands for winter (cold). So 10w (cold) is thinner than 20w(cold), and 40(hot) is thinner than 50(hot). In the UK 15W and 40 is ok. (so good down to -15 and up to 40deg outside)

So even though OD is right, not good practice to mix, in truth some oil is better than none and 15W40 isn't too far off 20W50.

Regular changes are good so if you've just bought a shed load of 20W50 for your next service or if its all you've got then it will be ok.
Great explanation there bud and the main thing is any oil is better than none as you said. What’s got you started on the synthetic stuff then? It’s just that I’ve noticed a few peeps going over to synthetic and most of them have a van full of worry guages so I’m sure they’re concentrating on real time results and I know of at least one that hooks a lap top up to it too.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,interesting stuff for sure :)

what got me thinking is oil has come on leaps and bounds. Mineral was just the way it was but fully synthetic is really good oil.

I always want the best for my dub and better oil is part of it.

I read loads of pages , overheating, leaks etc but there's nothing real, you know what it's like, misinformation becomes gospel.

Each to their own this 110% isn't a recommendation or a knock to whatever people believe in but for me the decider was i got chatting to a guy in the states who has a stunning 'VW thing', his pride and joy, rare too.
His knowledge on the forum makes him well respected in my opinion and it turns out he (quietly due to the can of worms) runs 5W30 fully, and only changes once a year because the oil is better/more durable.

I've got a load of 20W50 to get through but when I do I'm going to run the same and see.

Viscosity is more runny so it cools better (in theory:)

but if you've got leaks they will appear more than before but that's not the oil.

Sorry for the longish reply but hope that makes sense. I'll keep you posted.
Pg

P.s gutted not to make dubs at the castle, anything closer I'd be there.

what got me thinking is oil has come on leaps and bounds. Mineral was just the way it was but fully synthetic is really good oil.

I always want the best for my dub and better oil is part of it.

I read loads of pages , overheating, leaks etc but there's nothing real, you know what it's like, misinformation becomes gospel.

Each to their own this 110% isn't a recommendation or a knock to whatever people believe in but for me the decider was i got chatting to a guy in the states who has a stunning 'VW thing', his pride and joy, rare too.
His knowledge on the forum makes him well respected in my opinion and it turns out he (quietly due to the can of worms) runs 5W30 fully, and only changes once a year because the oil is better/more durable.

I've got a load of 20W50 to get through but when I do I'm going to run the same and see.

Viscosity is more runny so it cools better (in theory:)

but if you've got leaks they will appear more than before but that's not the oil.

Sorry for the longish reply but hope that makes sense. I'll keep you posted.
Pg

P.s gutted not to make dubs at the castle, anything closer I'd be there.
Absolutely following my thinking with the advancements in oil technologies and other respected people trialling and using modern style oils of the synthetic varieties. As I eluded to earlier, some of these are experimenting in real time with all the different worry guages and each is grinding the axe in their own way. Might have to be a bit crazy to dismiss straight thirty and recommend multi flavour then totally dismiss more modern formulae out of hand. I got another gallon of Halfords left for an oil change at the end of the season, then I might join in with this modern stuff. All in all , these are fairly primitives as far as motors go , but if the oil retains its total viscosity for longer and still dissipates the heat then we might indeed be into a win win situation. Anything that prolongs the lifespan of these has to be worth a shot. As I’ve just done an oil change, I might run this through the summer then swap over before it starts to cool for the winter and put the Halfords to one side as I can always go back to it if I’m not feeling it with the new stuff.
I did a while back put some Castrol fully synthetic 80/90 into my gearbox under recommendation and due to the oil having reached five or more years old. Eighty odd quids worth to fill that box. So I thought this'll do nicely for a few years. My gearbox was screaming in quite a short time possibly less than a week and the considered opinions of older mechanical types was the detergent in it had dislodged sediments etc that had filled in all available wear spots. Changed to a regular 80/90 and the box has gradually quietened but took at least a year or possibly two to get back to where it was. I don’t think it’s totally as quiet as it was originally. This motor is a different thing though as it’s not fifty years old.

Ozziedog,,,,,,,,,,, worth’s try I think :)

Latest posts