Which automatic fire extinguisher??.????

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i built my own for my bathtub:

http://www.mangosmoothie.ca/fire-suppression" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'll probably do the same style for my T2ab

I think your going to have to make your own decision on which one you want, any company that sells them is going to be biased towards the extinguisher they sell and try to pull fault with the rest!!
As far as I'm aware gas is the only extinguisher they can use in Nass car racing!

The main thing is no one knows which works and which doesn't as most that fit them have never had a fire to give feedback! I think the companies need to do an actual test on a VW with these to prove they work!!

If you can, avoid powder ones.
After it goes of you will have to renew all your electrical system :evil:

Sorry stuif your wrong about renewing all electrics. You may have to renew alternator if you cant clean it, but a new alternator is a lot cheaper than replacing van. Before I retired I had a small international transport bussiness and I was going through Germany with a demonstrator truck pulling a trailor with very valuable load.I was flagged down by a motorist to find there were flames coming from under cab.An oil pipe from turbo was leaking oil onto exhaust and the insulation under cab floor was alight along with other plastic componants. I used the fire extingusher supplied with truck and put fire out. The engine was completly covered in powder and it was difficult to see anything for a few minutes. A heavy recovery truck came out and towed to DAF dealership. They replaced metal turbo pipe, plastic air intake pipe , renewed burnt out wiring and a few othe things, steam cleaned engine off and replaced air filter and I was on way again next day. I can assure you if that had been a CO2 type extingusher the whole truck ,trailor and load would have been a total loss
Bob

I bought the firetec system for mine after looking into it for a while, it was a group buy. The gas ones won't work in an aircooled engine reliably because of the large open space and fan, the powder ones are slightly better than the foam ones for suppressing the flames, but the powder residue can be difficult to remove. I thought that the foam type would be adequate and just to make sure, should the worst happen :msn4: I have another extinguisher in the van as well.
A fuel cut-off solenoid is also a good idea to stop a burst fuel pipe causing the fuel tank contents to empty into the engine bay. :)

Lee C said:
Vw heritage one. Gucci tubing

http://m.vwheritage.com/productDetails.cfm?iItemID=139050754

Just Kampers one. No Gucci tubing

http://www.justkampers.com/gtp-automatic-abc-powder-fire-extinguisher-1-0kg.html

So it looks like the tubing is the reason for the VW heritage one being so expensive

Does that mean the jk one will still do the job.

I'll be going for a fireblitz on like JK sells but there available cheap online. (No VW tax)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-1kg-ABC-Dry-Powder-Automatic-Fire-Suppression-Unit-FAST-Shipping-/281238423522?pt=UK_Fire_Extinguishers&hash=item417b1dc7e2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I spoke to a fire extinguisher sales man today who kindly explained the high price of this tubing stuff.
Apparently it's been developed & patented by one guy & all the suppliers have to buy it off him for a high price so that's why it is so dear for us, he actually said £200 for an extinguisher & 2m of tube was not too bad !!!!!
So at least someone had explained to me how it works etc
And as soon as I get me pennies together I'll be ordering one up!!!!!

Lee C said:
I spoke to a fire extinguisher sales man today who kindly explained the high price of this tubing stuff.
Apparently it's been developed & patented by one guy & all the suppliers have to buy it off him for a high price so that's why it is so dear for us, he actually said £200 for an extinguisher & 2m of tube was not too bad !!!!!
So at least someone had explained to me how it works etc
And as soon as I get me pennies together I'll be ordering one up!!!!!

The tubing is desnged to deliver the extinguisher to the source first and then spreading through the engine bay without the tubing you can risk having the extinguisher taking longer to go off and not being directed where you need it.

Latest posts