bubbles

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimthebin

Reaction score
evening all

starting to find a few rust bubbles on the van want to strip down prevent fill and then respray with a can, planning to do it myself any advice like how the hell to do it

first time for everthing

thanks in advance

JTB :msn4:

get everybit of rust out ... don't have a bit of a poke then try and treat it .. its gotta go .. all of it!

try and fill with fresh metal where possible .. its the only permanent way

.. expect lots more than the surface shows ..

don't get disheartened when you've finished pulling it all out!

Put some pics up of where it is .. peeps will advise how bad to expect it ..

Hilly

As said above, sadly expect loads more than the bubbles suggest. Cut the rot out good and proper right back to really solid steel and then weld in new metal. It is the only way to remove the rust, anything else will have it returning in no time.
Hope the problems are not too bad, good luck mate :D

thanks for the advice i should have really said that my van got restored on a shoe string about 6 years ago and its 50/50 whether it was done correctly

areas such as the sliding door were bodged and started to bubble ideally next year i will be getting a new door but for now i would like to make it look nice which i know is a false economy but it lets the van down so any advice apart from welding in new metal sections if i can get away with it ?

many thanks

Go old school.. utter bodgers will use filler on cardboard backing or what have you. For a medium term solution use fibre-glass on top of aluminium mesh. As said get the real rot out first and treat with Kurust (phosphoric acid ?) to neutarlise the rust as far as poss. The glass resin should do a fair job of encapsulating the remaining rust for a while at least..

JS

Aluminium mesh on a steel panel is a method used by bodgers that don't know what galvanic corrosion is.

If your getting it all replaced next year any just leave it alone. Then come the winter do it once and do it properly. I can guarentee once you start investigating a little bubble it becomes bare metalling large areas and replacing panels.

Latest posts