1641 engine running single carb?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

subheatadey

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So it is looking like I may have to buy a new 1641 engine probably from VWH, unless i miraculously come across a good second hand one this week i use the van every day for work or rather i did :(
So I am buying a 1641 I know it would be preferable to stick twin carbs on it but seeing as i will be paying off the new engine i wont have the budget for twin carbs and so will run my trusty 34 pict 3.

I was wondering who is running 1641 with a standard carb and whether there has been any issues or poor performance etc??

Tar

I'm running a 1641SP with a 30/31.

Have only done about 1,000 miles since getting it back 3 months ago but so far it's fine.

Hi, I'm running a 1641 with a standard 34pict3 done approx 10k miles in it and runs nicely, fitting an Accuspark kit really smoothed it out, I think the old coil was on its way out so really noticed the new one with the rest of the kit. Also running a cheapo empi single quiet pack which seem to last 3 yrs for the box and 5 years so far for the manifold so happy with that for the price. In summary not had a problem in 5 years with this set up :D

also worth asking about compression ratio, cam choice etc.

Not all 1641cc engines are the same.

Just to proove a point ;)

[youtube]oa2I4qwH8mw[/youtube]

A stock bottom end with 1641cc B&P's may be fine on a stock carb,

Anything with bigger heads, cams etc.... Will need a carb upgrade. You dont want to run Lean and risk the engine running hot and doing damage (Possibly voiding warranties etc).

I'm running a single carb on a 1776 engine. It was a stock 34Pict3, but was overhauled and modified to '39Pict3' by a German company.
It runs just great with very good torque and reasonable fuel economy.

hi Restoraider - that adaptation sounds very interesting - can you please provide more details? I am running a single carb as I run lpg and that extra capacity on the 34PICT3 would be ideal I think...

cheers
Rob

Hi Rob,

I bought it from a guy on Bugnet.de, a german website. This is the link to one of his ads
http://www.bugnet.de/markt/marktbild.pl?196622

He rebuilds them and makes them look like new, and can also enlarge the carb to 37 or 39mm. He has testresults that show an increase of 10 Bhp with the 39mm on a 1776cc engine in a Beetle. I can't vouch for that but I do know that my engine runs pretty good on his single carb.
The only problem that it may have caused is that the inlet manifold freezes where the carb is attached because it runs more air. I'm installing bigger preheat pipes and possibly an electric heater around it.

Latest posts