1969 Devon Caravette

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Bought on ebay as a non-runner - very original but 'tired' !

camper.jpg

Nice van, I bet it was one of those 750 quiders that has turned out to be a really solid bus.........go on let us know :lol:

Well not quite that cheap !

Paid 1650 as non-runner, got it home, changed the points - started on first turn of the key ! Passed MOT needing only wiper blades (dont they always ?)

Im fourth owner, last owner had lot of welding done underneath and the respray in red (it was originally Lotus white all over - seem to be quite a few early devons in that colour ...)

Very original interior even if not exactly immaculate - all cabinets, the red Devon cushions, devon curtains ... it has a VW replacement 1600 SP.

Its just starting to rust in the usual places - bottom of cab doors are worst but overall I love it !!

Great red colour, do you know what it is? :?: 8)

yes I agree about the colour - its looks really right for the era - its actually a colour called Rover Targa Red ...

Plans really amount to keeping it roadworthy at the moment ! its retired into the garage for the winter for me to do some minor jobs on it (dodgy rear lights, cab window winder broken, keep a check on the worst rust, battery tray ...) - also need to fit another seat belt in the back since our second little'n was born this year ...

Our vans are not far apart, mine is March '69.

Looks like the same JPWhite Sidmouth conversion, none of your nice 'n'easy rock and roll beds here !
Mine originally had the pop up roof like yours but I had the current side lift roof fitted in 1984, unfortunately it is mounted using three large rivetts through the roof gutters which have now badly corroded - do you have any experience of repairs to these gutter strips? - it looks tricky!

Have seen a few other conversions like ours but have only seen one other bus with the L282 white paint and red interior, but going through this website, seems it is a common enough combination. Yours looks good in red though.

I dont run mine in the winter - too much salt on roads up here - so roll on warmer weather !

JR 8)

Latest posts