• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1970 Early Bay Microbus - Montana Red

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sixtysixsteve

Reaction score
Sadly, having owned, driven and cared for various busses and other aircooled goodness over the last 20yrs, I've decided that an Aircooled camper doesn't really suit our needs any more, we've had some awesome times in this bus and been to some beautiful places, but having returned to mountain biking in a big way over the last few years, I feel the need for something that I would be happy to use year round and camp at races etc.

Delivered to Copenhagen, Denmark on 28th Nov 1969 as a L30H Montana Red Microbus. With added option of side repeaters, normally seen on Italian busses.

Unlike all the busses I viewed in this price bracket, this bus is very solid, it took me ages to find an honest one and almost gave up! All the lips and arches are bog free and original, underneath is 100%. Door shuts and gaps are great. The paint is pretty much shot (mix of past blow-over and original), I did spend two weeks of evenings flatting and polishing it when we first bought it in 2013, only for it to go dull again over time, but to be honest I quite like it in its dull state. I did consider painting it, as it would be quite straightforward to do, but got used to being care-free when being used as intended. I had the bumpers shot blasted and painted in L90D Pastel White and rebuilt with all new seals and rubbers, these looking fresh alongside the faded paint just works.

Engine is a stock 1600cc which the previous owner had built in 2009, it's good, smooth, strong and leak free - perfect. I've changed the oil and checked the gaps every spring (dry stored over winter). I wouldn't hesitate to jump in and drive it anywhere.

Interior is a mix of rock and roll bed and a really nice Richard Booth rear facing seat which I have only just had trimmed and fitted. The curtains and floor were never really to taste, but functional so left as is. My 7y/o daughter loves the hammock better than her own bed. There's a leisure battery with a split charge relay.

There is a double hob/gill and gas bottle, but we generally used this out in the awning so not fitted as such, just stowed away under the RB seat.

Wheels are SSP copies with good. load rated tyres.

Bad points:
1. Needs a new offside headlight - I fitted budget reflectors which lasted a year - basically shite! I'll probably order a complete Hella lamp this week. Resolved.
2. Nearside wing mirror just fell off! Again will be ordering this week. Resolved.
3. Nearside mid-panel had some kind of weird moon stencil on it when we got it, as a temporary measure I used a halfords mix of Montana Red to patch it over badly - this has become more permanent than planned :lol: I'm sure someone could match this in in no time.
4. Off side (passenger) door lock doesn't work off of the key (original key fits all locks). Never really bothered me, but an easy fix apparently.

The rest is all good, very good.

MOT until 25th April 2017. Only advisories were the brake balance which I have cleaned up and adjusted, and a broken bracket on the exhaust which I've also now sorted.

Any questions or picture requests please just ask...

SOLD

take it easy....

Steve

D4B0D9EA-2843-4C7D-A6EE-75A9A6B563A1_zpswzbzxih5.jpg

IMG_5925_zpsln4zfsey.jpg

IMG_5929_zpsdcm8bd5a.jpg

E4E16F32-C3D9-45DC-B2A5-3CED82BC77E9_zpsnhjk0x8o.jpg

E5DABD18-E1BC-49AC-8141-20CD79764B24_zpsqtd9ffmu.jpg

IMG_5931_zps56cxh7sk.jpg

Got done early today, so fitted the new light and mirror, then went for a trip around the Cotswolds :cool:

E5E75BFC-4EE6-44AF-86DA-5116921AE619_zpsvvuwyird.jpg

8747E8C2-082F-4AFF-BF27-C0649431B2DB_zpszpy2qvtl.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts