• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1970 RHD Dormobile £13500 ono

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debsandsi

Reaction score
FOR SALE our beloved 1970 RHD Dormobile Roof Camper
£13500 ono.
Selling due to moving onto narrowboat.

The good, no bad and not necessarily ugly!

In good condition. Owned since 2009.

It is a 1970 early bay in Neptune blue with a white roof. Originally a Dormobile conversion and it had the original interior when we got it. However after living for a year camping in tatty chipped formica and thin plywood and me falling out of bed on more than one occasion we decided that the units were beyond salvage and fitted a new Vanwurks Interior.

The interior has a sink with tap and twin hob stove. Three way fridge. 2/3 Rock n roll bed. Power management system. Stowable table and loads of cupboard space. Leisure battery fitted and blue LED lights. 240V for external hook up and 12V socket. Gas locker and gas bottle.

The front seats are Newton Commercial custom blue and white recliners with head rests.

Engine.. VEGE 1600cc with pancake filter. The engine has probably done less than 8k since it was fitted but can’t be that certain. It pulls nicely uphills and blows no smoke and has no float at the flywheel and uses little oil.
The oil has been changed at least every 2500 miles. I had to replace the dynamo 2 years ago when the dynamo bearings went.

New starter fitted last year along with a heavy duty battery and cold start relay. (been ultra reliable since).

This year we had a rumbly wheel bearing so they have ALL been changed.

Bodywork. Looks good. It will however need some TLC on the wheel arch lips and along some bits of the sill.See pics for what I mean, not serious! It will only require rubbing down and a respray. I would be doing it myself next if I was to keep her. Indeed I have the custom paint colour in an aerosol for the job. These bits are not noticeable unless you get down on your hands and knees and would take a weekend at the most to put back to perfect.

There is one area I would have done at some point but its not urgent and that is a bit of corrosion under the drivers seat. It is not structural and has been covered for the last 3 years with a small aluminium sheet and waxoyl underseal.
Steering just overhauled with many new parts and boots.

Someone has slighty dented the body on the rear left underneath the bumper.

It was Rustmaster treated in 2010. The jacking points and battery trays and a lot of the lower 3rd was replaced by the former owner. So pretty solid underneath.

14 inch original VW steel wheels with very low mileage commercial van tyres.

There is however no heating sytem in the van. The previous owner never bothered replacing the corroded central hot air pipe. I took it to Volksworks in Cherry Willingham and they quoted £500 to put it back if I supplied the bits. I started buying the bits but have never needed it so they will come with the van. I have the new central hot air duct (Schofield) and two heater tubes (VW Commercial). You would need two heat exchangers and a couple of cables to complete. To be honest we don’t go out when it’s Baltic and on a sunny winters day its like a greenhouse!

It has a towbar fitted as I always took a trailer rather than fill the bus up with kids, dog and everything else.

Front beam adjuster fitted to enable easy lowering raising.
Spare shiny hubcaps for shows.
Blackcat catalytic gas heater thrown in.

No advisories on last mot certificate. MOT April and will get 12 mot'd if sold near asking price.

It would come with an awning (Kyham driveaway).
Lots of original VW documents including handbook and Dormobile brochure.

20150913_145828_zpsukilsotr.jpg
[/url][/img]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts