• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1970 VW Early Bay Richard Holdsworth Concours winner

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosbyhorn

Reaction score
For sale is this fully restored 1970 Richard Holdsworth camper. The Holdsworth camper is little known, but is a very rare and special UK built camper. It is a very 1970’s period bus, fully equipped for family camping. It has a double bed in the pop up roof and a double in the van, it has a two burner and grill stove, sink, water tank and cooler. It can also seat 4 at the good size table and offers lots of storage.
So this is not just a concours show winner vehicle it is also a very practical family camper.

Described by David Eccles, (author of many VW camper books) as the most original Holdsworth camper he has ever seen and possible one of only a very small number still in existence. This van truly is very rare.

The speedo is showing 50,000 miles and is almost certainly correct, as the former owner recalls it having very low original miles on it when they bought it from only its third owner in 1996. I have had the van on the raid for 1 year now after a very detailed restoration and covered 1100 trouble free miles. The van has a fresh MOT, has just been serviced and has 11 month tax (which is free anyway)

UK registered new in 1970, I acquired the van in Sept 2011 from its fourth owner, who in turn had had it from 1996. They had taken the van off the road 9 years prior to my purchase.

The van, when found was in very original condition but did require full restoration, which included lower level metal work repair. This was professionally carried out by Jeff, at JC Welding services, I have all photo’s that detail the work done. The van was then professionally repainted in its original Brilliant Blue. The metal and paint finish is first class. The underside is shinny black and the inner wheel arches are shinny blue. There is a invoice for this part of the restoration for £9545, I have many many more invoices for items bought throughout the project. I also have 100’s of photos of all of the work.

All brakes where rebuilt using new parts. The engine was removed for the restoration and re-commissioned by Steve at Johnson Autoworks and then re-installed. The van now drives, stops and turns as it should and is totally stock.

The interior is almost total original. The only element that needed to be changed was the seat covers in the back, and the fitting of a small 12v DC cooler fridge, in the space that had housed a cooler box. The rest is totally original. I have added a 12v DC leisure battery and split charger, plus a 12v DC socket output in the back and one in the front, for your tomtom. Both are concealed so you can’t see them. There is also a Automatic Fire extinguisher in the engine bay.

The van, on its first outing won best in class concours, at Stanford Hall, gaining a score of 132 / 140. At the show, David Eccles asked if he could feature the van in his magazine “Camper and Commercial”, this was in the March publication. Also VolksWorld Camper and Bus, featured the van in the August publication. The van has also finished in the top 5 at VW action and won its class at Bus stopover.

By invitation, the van was on display at Sandow on the 23/24th March.

So in summary, I’m looking to find the next custodian of a very special historical VW Richard Holdsworth camper. I would want the van to be passed to someone who will enjoy the vehicle but also treat it with respect. These early bays are now becoming very collectable and values are increasing. I’m sure you can appreciate, this will not be a cheap camper bargain. Please genuine enquires only and offers in the region of £23,000. Also if it would help, I may be willing to take a PX.
please call to discuss on 07764 815207

If you post the links found on the right hand side of the photobucket page the pics will be visible to everyone

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b626/crosbyhorn/1970%20Richard%20Holdsworth" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is one for you

[img]http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b626/crosbyhorn/1970%20Richard%20Holdsworth/P1010412_zps6a2b3d11.jpg

P1010410_zpsa1a5b6e9.jpg

Hi I'm planning on heading over to Bus stopover, with my Westy, so if you want to view the camper let me know and I will bring the early bay as well.

Hi All, just to let you know the camper was a winner at Bus Stopover at the weekend, getting prize for best bay camper :D

Hi all, just to let you know this van is on the cover of Volksworld camper and bus and a 6 page story in side

Hi, Just to let you know the van has just been serviced and is in for fresh MOT today, I can now say it has fresh MOT, passed with no issues having covered 1100 miles in the past 12 months

Hello all,

I will be loosing my garage in 6 weeks for about 8 weeks while I have it inceased in size, which means I need to either sell the van or find storage ( I have two vans, Motor Bike etc all in the way ) so if you are interested then please make me an offer, Ian

Hi Just to let you know, if you want to see the van I will have it at VW action, I will put it in the show and shine and I will have it at Busfest, cheers Ian

As I'm just about to loose my garage to the builders for 3 months, I have handed the van to Karl at KGF Classics, who will help sell the van for me, should you be interested, Ian

Latest posts