1970 Westfalia and fitting a Paris Beetles Sunroof!?!?!?!?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonet

Reaction score
Hi, anyone any experience of fitting a Paris Beetles Sunroof to a 1970 Westfalia? Looks like more work because of the "curved cut out" in the roof shape.

Thinking of selling my roof and new canvas in favour of the cleaner lines of a tin top with sunroof

Thanks

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO,but if you must popcorn balls did his,drop him a pm.

why no?? am I being Daft??? I want to lower the height front and back and was thinking of removing the roof and possibly sell bits (Roof and Interior) to fund.

I am undecided, and I do like some of the Westfalia's on here. I'm sure a set of Raders and lower stance could convince me to keep it

The price of the sunroof will buy you a set of wheels and still have change.IMHO a better sloution would to find out if the westy has inner roof skin of a deluxe and try to get a deluxe sliding roof.

Steve

ok, now that sounds interesting!!!

didn't think of that!

Hope you're right!

Some have the inner frame ,some don't you might be lucky.I'm not a big fan of pop tops but they do have practical side.

Pop Tops Rule!!!!

I have done both: I find the pop top makes such a difference when camping, especially with a wife and 3 year old :lol: , but the rag top was great in the summer :lol: . Here are some pics, I'll let you be the judge of which looks cooler:

DSC00813.jpg

Sonypics019.jpg

tin-tops float my boat 8) - but given the choice of a pop-top or a rag-top, I'd choose a pop-top every time.

i have a late bay tin top and have just bought an early westy pop top due to the growing child :twisted: , i do prefer tin tops/commercials but needs must and the westy looks the best of all pop top types i think

Simon, check your email :wink:

Here's my gallery thread - can't believe the dates on there, only seems like yesterday that i was still an 'early bay'er

http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?t=183&postdays=0&postorder=asc

and for Steve's suggestion about finding an original steel slider (with mechanism) to put in - good luck mate :shock: :lol: i tried, and I don't think i've seen one for sale to this day. You never know though someone may have one tucked away behind a pile of rocking horse poo and hens teeth...

Chris

If you need any advice fitting a Paris Beetles rag top let me know, I will PM you my number and talk you through it. It was pretty easy but there are a few little points you MUST do to make it look right.

Latest posts