• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 Tin Top camper for sale...

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gonegolfing

Reaction score
Unfortunately the time has come to sell my early bay. We as a family just don't use it enough to warrant keeping it. It's done just over 900 miles in the last 14 months or so, travelling to local shows and the shops. I really would like to use it more, but i just don't have the time anymore.
I've copied this from my ad on VZI, so i might duplicate information slightly...
So, here goes:
1971 Early Bay, tax exempt
VW Harvestmoon beige colour (new beetle colour)
12 months MOT, passed this week (2 advisories on surface corrosion on rear break pipes. £10 fix)
LHD tin top walkthrough
3 point seatbelts in the front
2 x 2 point seatbelts for the rear bench seat
1 x 3 point seatbelt for the drop down buddy seat
Black carpets up front, light oak laminate in the rear
Cream vinyl seating all round with red piping
Red hibiscus curtains and cushions
cream headliner
3/4 Rock 'n' roll bed
Custom cupboard and drawers down one side, with darkwood laminate worktops
Stand alone table in same darkwood finish
Electric hook up
1000w inverter (for mains power when camping)
Provisions for leisure battery (removed to go in my caravan!)
Propex heater (not installed)
3 bow roof rack
New tyres all round on Empi's
1600 TP using 34 Pict 3 carb and 009 dizzy
Loads more to list...
The previous owner did a full bare metal restoration of this bay so he could use it for his own wedding. This link http://s157.photobucket.com/user/ray1703/slideshow/elvis the camper shows over 300 photos of his restoration process. (The T reg plate was issued when it was imported, which then got changed to an age related plate before i bought it). I've actually used it for my own wedding and also a friends wedding, as the cream colour and styling make it perfect for a wedding vehicle. I've had loads of requests for proms and weddings since, but just can't be bothered! Nice little earner if you've got the time...
This bay is 100% solid and ready to go. The paintwork is good when cleaned, but it's no show winner (yet). As it's a new flat colour, it's dead easy to paint and patch up should you need to.
This will also come with various camping equipment and bits i haven't had time to fit yet. I'll also list the good bits, the not so good bits, and the stuff i haven't had time to complete.
Oh yeah, nearly forgot to mention that the front indicators are now LED running lights, with the indicators being in the period fog lights, and the rear all red lenses have custom LED VW brake lights in them. Just a couple of easily reversible stamps i've put on this. look quite good though, and have a safety function too!
Location is in Sheffield, 5 minutes from Jct 30/31.
Price is £9.5k, ovno.
Thanks for looking. Any questions, just ask!

Steve.

More info:
Exhaust is a year old
New fuel filter and fuel hoses
New engine bay seal
New riser pipe seals
New carb gasket
Provisions for leisure battery - just supply and connect
In dash Pioneer touch screen DVD player with ipod connection
Electric washer bottle modification using existing push button
Original Jack
Chrome eyelids
Working heaters!
Vintage period front fogs (now indicators) - worth £150 alone!
The following are included, but just not fitted:
Propex heater (over £400 new)
Reverse camera for Pioneer in dash screen
Basic Alarm
LED tape light - very bright, runs from front to back, just not connected
Split charge relay
B&W chequered bonnet bra - used once (£175)
mains powered low wattage kettle
Safe T lock pedal lock - no padlock though
2 sets of rear wheel bearings
copy of the Bentley manual
12" 12v monitor - connect up your pod for movies on the go!
8 man tunnel tent
3 bow roof rack - in pieces as i was going to restore it

Right then, the not so good stuff:
There are various spots of surface rust in various areas. Nothing major, but it's visible if you look for it
The wheels need polishing up
The flexi hoses from the heat exchangers to the tubing need replacing
Bumpers could do with repainting
Front fog (indicator) brackets could do with painting
Passenger door lock doesn't work with the key supplied (lockable from inside though)
Engine bay lock doesn't work with the key supplied
Head lining is sagging a bit at the walk through point
The paintwork has a few runs in it
The curtains fitted fit all the way round the windows, but the silent gliss track stops at the B pillars for some reason. Just need to continue it on.
Rock n roll bed needs looking at. Useable as it is, but just needs re jigging.
I only have 2 of the four sliders for the heater controls in the dash.
Engine stalls when you come to a stop. Think it's something to do with the 009 dizzy. Has a flat spot when accelerating too. You just need to do a v dub shuffle on the brakes and accelerator when you are stopping, and sort of double dip accelerate when changing gear. Nothing a decent dizzy wont sort. I've driven it like this since i've had it. It just adds to the fun of it!

Oh yeah, the middle top section of the cupboards requires finishing internally. This is where the hobs should sit. Look at it as a blank canvas ;)
It also has electronic points.
There is also a hammock to go in the front above the seats, brand new just not fitted.
Fiamma bike rack.
Monza 4 tip exhaust.
Thats about it i think. There may be another 3 bow roof rack to go with it, thats if one from a split will fit.
Hopefully i've provided the right photos everyone wants to see. I've given as honest a description as i can. It's a nice tidy bus, which needs enjoying and showing off. There's a few little bits that need doing, but nothing that will stop it being used. There's always something that needs doing on an old vdub!!

If you have any questions, please ask!!

Thanks for looking :)

Latest posts