• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

1971 Westfalia - pice reduced

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

71Westy

Reaction score
Folks,

Well with the kids now growing up and moving on, I have decided to part with the bus to fund my dream since childhood of owning a Morgan. The irony is that I have spent a several years getting the bus to the stage that it is comfortable, reliable and smooth to drive - but then that's part of the problem as there is less to tinker with!

It's a 1971 Westy in Chianti Red that was a US import from California. It was resprayed when it was imported in 2009. Since then I have been upgrading and refurbishing it on an annual basis! I have changed the interior for one more suited to practical travelling and camping with my family. So the features are:

- All new VW Heritage 1600TP about 10K miles ago, nicely run in and serviced as per VW heritage recommendations
- Pertronix electronic ignition
- New for this year was a professionally refurbished Solex carb from Machine Mart (the £300 jobbie) - leak free and smooth running
- Brakes all refurbished last year with new late bay disks on the front and new flexis all round now (I did the rears this year)
- It's very slightly lower than standard so fits in my garage - adjustable beam at the front with coilovers to help get the height and ride perfect
- New cab floors, battery tray and just to make sure the front seat belt mounts professionally fitted a couple of years ago
- Underneath derusted and painted with Rust Bullet hen waxoyled
- Sound and heat insulation renewed
- Mad Matz tile floor
- Wheel arches stone chipped and painted body colour
- VW Heritage quality canvas fitted plus new canvas bunk
- Full width rock and roll bed
- Full retrim, including rebuilding of front seats with new horsehair pads
- Handmade kitchen unit, buddy seat and full width westy style shelf in the roof
- Kenwood radio/cd & speakers
- Mains hookup rebuilt to UK spec with RCD consumer unit
- 12V marine charger and leisure battery, plus intelligent split charge relay
- Waeco fridge freezer
- SMEG two burner hob
- Matching free standing table (I've not mounted it permanently as I couldn't bear to cut a hole in the floor - I'll include the bits though)
- Towbar and electrics - it has towed only a small trailer for camping bits.

You can see the work I did underneath (although I've since redone this, and sorted the wheel arches, after the floors were replaced) and rebuild of the interior in the gallery section here
http://forum.earlybay.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21724" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A couple of years ago I subjected it to a half day inspection with Type 2 Detectives and it came out with a pretty clean bill of health!

MoT is due June 2017.

Price reduced to £18750

Pics to follow.

Nick
07824 993411

Bus%20advert

Bought a Morgan this weekend - so dropped the price to try and get this moving :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts