Drum Brake skimming

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragon95

Reaction score
Hi,
It's been a while since I've been on here... had 3 buses previously and renovated / repaired and then sold, never to buy another only to go and buy another 6 months later... well I did the same this time then moved house.. 4 years later , I'm getting round to fixing up this one... I've got a 1970 bay in need of the usual tlc, its sound enough to be roadworthy(ish) but I do need to go over the brakes... this is the first bus I've had with front drums... I've converted early disc setup to later previously but this time I'd like to stick with the original drums, at least give them a chance anyway..
So I've pulled off the drums... theres new shoes in there and the setup looks ok.. the rubber hoses looked good but quite old so I've replaced them and bled them through ( I do need to replace the rears though and I should get to those as soon as me flogging spanner turns up to get the rear drums off ) , so hydraulically its fine, the front drums though need a skim, someone cleaned them up when the shoes were done but they have a ridge in the centre going all the way round, as if all the shoes fitted previously had a grove in the middle and they feel a bit rippley across the width anyway. I took a dremel to the ridge and flattened it off and this has improved things hugely , thing is though , really they need to be replaced or preferably skimmed as replacements come in at ~300 quid a pair , which would be fine if I knew after this they would be good enough... soooo after all that the ask is.. does anyone know of an engineering company in the south east .. pref sevenoaks/ tunbridge wells way that will skim drums ? 20 years ago , I'd have no trouble finding someone to do them while I waited for a tenner, now it seems no one wants to know or has the capability, or I'm just not looking hard enough ! :D

Yeah it is getting harder to find the small engineers. Baldyne engineering, Locksbottom might do them, they do engine and general machining. Only have the ligthest touch taken off or you start to run into having oversize linings.

I know Maynards near stroud do them as saw one that they'd done for another make when I was in buying bits last week...

Latest posts