Early Bay Differences

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any kind soul out there got '68 visors :?:
I just need a good template of one :)

Clem said:
Yes, visors were 68, 69 and the stayed the same from 70.

I think the plastic long mirror was US only, but I may be wrong.

You may be correct about the long plastic rear view stem...so essentially the Europeans 68-69 early bays had the long chrome rear view stems?

any way the 2 middel dash top vents are defo shorter by about 4 " and i need some :lol:

A German guy showed me, at the weekend, how 68 wing mirrors are different. The glass is pressed directly into the backing, with no plastic surround.

One of mine is wrong ...... :lol:

That´s right. Model 68 mirrow in the windscreen without plastic surround!

Another detail for "later early bays" model ´72 (called T2ab) which I have published in "Gallery" should be repeated in this thread:

Engine lid of model ´72 T2ab

Up to 12.71 the bulb above the place for the number plate is shorter!
Have a look here: This is an up to 12.71 type 23 with its original engine lid ...

drr-3v.jpg

This is an engine lid from a post 12.71 model ´72 T2ab

drr-3w.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, haven´t found better one in hurry.

It´s a detail, not everyone knows about ;-)[/b]

I've had 2 68 bays the first was earlier than my current one and had grub screw wipers. the current one has threaded bolts.

Bodge

Bodgeb said:
I've had 2 68 bays the first was earlier than my current one and had grub screw wipers. the current one has threaded bolts.

Bodge

Does your current one's wiper assembly itself (where the motor bolts onto) have the same shape as your 68 assembly with grub screws? Was wondering if someone switched it out at some time for a 69-71 assembly.

dropgates said:
Bodgeb said:

Bodge

Does your current one's wiper assembly itself (where the motor bolts onto) have the same shape as your 68 assembly with grub screws? Was wondering if someone switched it out at some time for a 69-71 assembly.

From looking inside the cab everything appears as standard and I forget what the other one was like coz it was years ago before we had the kids and after 11 years of children my brain is now just a sack of useless gue.

Somthing doesn't seem right somewhere though. I believe the early 68 which were manufactured late 67 used up some splitty parts of hybrids of them. I guessed my current bay is late 68 manufactured late 68 and used new or maybe prototype parts.

Also I have a set of rear shoes which dont fit mine which I need to sell when I can find out what they are off.
SA400148.jpg

They dont fit my 68 or my mates 71. I bought them off someone calling them "early bay" rear shoes. they are the right size but mine need the elongated bit which fits in the cylinder, which I now have purchased.
Bodge

I believe that the '71 had 'one year only' front tinware in the engine bay.

PS: Do '69 doors fit a '71 body ? Mine aren't a good fit, and I wondered if the doors were wrong or the arches were badly fitted.

PPS: Soon time for a consolidation of all the above ? Good work.

PS: Do '69 doors fit a '71 body ? Mine aren't a good fit, and I wondered if the doors were wrong or the arches were badly fitted.

Yes they fit the same.
The only difference between early doors is that the 68 doors have a one year only recess behind the handle. Apart from that the same in shape & size.

'68 indicator wiring is different, it only has one wire going to each indicator, while later vehicles have two wires to each indicator.

'68 had no hazard lights (am I correct in saying this?)
'68 had no reversing lights (am I correct in saying this?)

And not sure if my 68 had a firewall originally. It was fitted with a later firewall, butchered at the bottom to make it fit. I recently threw it out and put in a proper early firewall, which is different to the later ones cos it has a flat bottom edge rather than curved.

MY '68 DeLuxe (february) does have backup lights, as says the M-plate.
Firewall was introduced 'round April '68, from what I know.

kempy said:

Yes they fit the same.
The only difference between early doors is that the 68 doors have a one year only recess behind the handle. Apart from that the same in shape & size.

From what I've seen there are two different types of inner pressing on 69-71 doors. Not that you'd notice with the door cards on anyway :lol:

ProfessorWheeto said:
kempy said:

Yes they fit the same.

From what I've seen there are two different types of inner pressing on 69-71 doors. Not that you'd notice with the door cards on anyway :lol:

i noticed that last night when new doors were offered up

dropgates said:
71 was somewhat squarish and was reatined behind the front seat while 68-69 was located generally in the front left drivers kick panel

My '71s Brake fluid reservoir is above the Drivers side (RHD) kick panel, not behind the seat.. Im pretty sure its original. Maybe they moved in '71, as i'm sure i have seen other vans with the same positioning

Two Eleven said:
MY '68 DeLuxe (february) does have backup lights, as says the M-plate.
Firewall was introduced 'round April '68, from what I know.

That would explain why mine has a firewall, it was built in June '68.

Latest posts