• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Early Bay Restored Dormobile - 1970

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobert

Reaction score
George (as he has been known by my family and the previous 5 owners) is a 1970 Dormobile D4/6. He is a five berth (1 double, two hammocks and a baby cab bunk) Since I have owned him he has had the following:

Chassis:
Full strip down of the chassis, replacement of three main chassis cross members, two top hat sections and several chassis rail sections. Replacement of one third of the load bay area floor.
New under floor belly pans fitted for structural rigidity.
All work primed, painted, stone chipped and waxoiled for rust proofing.

Without everything being replaced the chassis is now as solid as you will find on a bus of this age.

Bodywork:
Body stripped back to bare metal, drivers side rear wheel arch and quarter panel replaced. Drivers side rear window frame replaced, Drivers side centre sill and sill strengthener replaced. Drivers and passenger side roof guttering replaced. Passenger side sliding door bottom replaced, engine lid and rear valance replaced, Passenger side front wheel arch replaced. Full 2 pack primer and paint in period VW “Neptune blue”. Pop top roof stripped, treated and painted in VW “Platinum white”. Bumpers and wheels shot blasted, rust treated and painted in VW “platinum White”.

All window, door, roof, engine seals replaced, new rear and front badges, aerial, hub caps, wing mirrors and wipers replaced.

Mechanics/Electrics:
Total mechanical overhaul. Gearbox fully serviced, all new fuel lines and filters.
New 1600 TP engine (only 750 miles)
All solid and flexible brake lines replaced
New brake shoes, replacement brake backing plates and front bake drums. Two new handbrake cables.
New gearshift coupling and aftermarket short throw gearshifter.
Rear suspension lowered 2.5 inches
Front suspension lowered with sway away front beam adjusters, lowered 2.5 inches
5 x Avon Zv3 performance tyres – 185/60/14
Rewiring of engine bay electrics and internal lights
New headlights
New steering draglink arm
Adjustment of steering box
New front shock absorbers

Interior:
Full respray in VW “Platinum White”
Roof, side insulation/sound deadening
Full re-trim of camping area.
Re-trim of all interior door panels, rear bench seat/bed and passenger buddy seats.
Rebuild of original Dormobile sideboard/cupboard space and solid refixing in van
New headlining, front and rear
Professionally retrimmed front seats to match exterior paintwork.
Serviced and detailed Dormobile under front seat cooker (full working order)
New carpets in cab
New wood effect laminate flooring in rear
Reconditioned roof bunks
Dash panel resprayed in matt black
CD/USB/MP3 stereo, front and rear speakers
Install of under dash storage tray
Two fire extinguishers fitted
2 x 3 point seat belts fitted in rear
Custom made curtains and cushions.

Apart from the suspension being lowered George is a close as you get to a stock Dormobile. He is everything I ever wanted in a bus and i'll be gutted to see him go. The custom stainless/oak roof rack is for sale separatley.

I'm after £12495 but am willing to do a deal. No silly offers though as I dont really want to sell him!
email: [email protected]
Happy to answer any questions or provide photos. I have photos to back up all the work thats been done on him and have a fair bit of history before I owned it.

04052008028.jpg

DSCF1638.jpg

DSCF1926-1.jpg

04052008027.jpg

Latest posts