• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Vehicle For Sale EARLY BAY 1970 FOR SALE

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hedrog

Reaction score
Early Bay 1970 For Sale

Imported from South Africa in 2012, mine since. Originally pale yellow, resprayed Toyota white by the importer, Southwest Splits from whom I bought her. Affectionately known as Doris due to her DRS***H reg plate. Her paintwork is still presentable but tired in places, I keep on top of it by touching up from time to time. I have had the whole bottom of the front clip and outriggers replaced with new panels welded in professionally by Tony Noble in St Helier. The previous owner repaired the driver’s footwell with an aluminium panel which has held up well, but I am including a new footwell repair panel in the sale should you wish to replace it. This rot was caused over the years by by a leaking windscreen seal. This seal needs replacing again and repairs made to the dash where it meets the screen – a new repair panel and screen seal come included in the sale. The rest of the underside is remarkably solid apart from the battery tray. I will supply a new tray together with a new right rear corner panel which will need welding in. The rear passenger window seals, tailgate window seal and sliding door seals are also included. It has an oddball sunroof – it would originally have been a slider but the PO converted it to hinge upwards. Loads of tread left on the matching commercial tyres. The steering box has been professionally rebuilt by R3 in Chessington but could do with slight adjustment to dial out a bit of stiffness – nothing major. Or perhaps I’ve just got used to power steering in my old age!

Not long after I bought her I had Autotechniks in Epsom fit a brake servo. This has transformed the brakes, I no longer have to wonder if she’s going to stop in time! At a later date, they also fitted some Koni shocks on the rear and Sachs on the front so the ride is quite good. When the original single port engine gave up the ghost I sourced a second hand twin port one which they fitted and tuned for me together with a new clutch and an EMPI 4 into 1 exhaust which sounds nice and not loud. Heat exchangers are fitted but you will need to fit thesupplied heater tubes to get the heating system working. The engine is quite good although could do with a tune up through lack of use. It got me and a couple of mates to Le Touquet and back before lockdown no problem!

Inside could do with a bit of tidying although again nothing major. The window winders work but are stiff so need looking at. I’ve fitted a couple of Alfa Romeo red leather seats and a rock and roll bed out of my previous bus. I’ve replaced the inner front door panels and have the rears which need fitting. The gearbox engages all gears easily and doesn’t jump out of any. However the selection is sloppy and will need the gearstick linkage bushes replacing which I will include in the sale. The odometer shows 02100 miles. The odometer is lying. Another little liar is the fuel gauge. The in tank gauge was replaced with a JK one when the engine was out and when it is empty it reads ¼ full for some reason.

All in all a great old bus full of character which you could use every day and restore/improve as you go along. She needs time spending on her, but not too much money. Please note that the logbook still lists the bus in its original colour and engine. DVLA can be notified of the changes when ownership transfers. The logbook is in my name and home address and she is registered as an historical vehicle so is exempt from road tax and MOT testing.

I also have the dating certificate from VW in Germany.

You can view at my home address in Raynes Park, London SW20 not far from the A3.
Steve 07761121385
9k ono.

Attachments

• DSC_0028 - Copy.JPG
    DSC_0028 - Copy.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 1
  • vw1 - Copy.JPG
    vw1 - Copy.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 2
  • sa.png
    sa.png
    414.1 KB · Views: 1