Firetec extinguisher losing pressure. How do I fix this?

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KevH

Reaction score
As above; the extinguisher in the engine bay is losing pressure, and I am concerned that should it be needed it won't be effective. It is about three years old.

I read somewhere that the valve on the rear of the head can be attached to a standard forecourt airline but that did not work. It bled a white liquid and did not pressurise it.

Any ideas?

Cheers.

Kev

Id contact them about a service Kev, most extinguishers would require a service by three years old.

Thanks Mike. Would that be Coolair (the retailer) or Firetec themselves? Or are there third party service companies that I could safely use?

Kev

i have an 12v tyre pump with a screw on shrader connector. I think the screw on type is essential for this task.

Gloves, goggles and pair of pliers needed. Undo the knurled cap, connect pump and let it struggle - it needs to get to about 200psi (I think). The little gauge on the extinguisher tells you when its back to green. I tend to let it go past green into danger, then unscrew the pump and quickly put the cap back on and nip it up with the pliers. It tends to leak a little at this point, the pressure dropping back to green.

Mine does need a service as I need to do this about 3 or 4 times a year. According to firetech the powder ones (mine) get a bit of power in the valve and so leak a little over time. Might be true for the others too. Think they are based in southern scotland, but they travel the country and seemed happy for me to call in if I wanted....

Cheers, that is very helpful. Mine is the foam type so MAY be different.

I have contacted a couple of local extinguisher service centres (around Stoke) without any joy, so my next port of call os Coolair and Firetec themselves. If all else fails, I'll try the DIY route as suggested.

Kev

Latest posts