• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Early Bay and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

For Sale - 1971 Earlybay Westy with 1.9Tdi engine

Early Bay Forum

Help Support Early Bay Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bundy

Reaction score
Year of Your Van(s)
Van Type
Custom
Welcome to the sale of our much loved VW campervan that we have owned and adapted for the last 12 years.
It was imported from USA as a sunroof deluxe model by a company in Hastings. I bought it from them and had them fit a Westfalia roof, renovate the bodywork and respray it for me.
It's gone through many changes over the years, but is now at it's best and most practical (so we think anyway!)

Engine is a 1.9 PD150 diesel from a MK4 Golf..remapped to approx 180Bhp/320lbsft
5-speed gearbox from a Passat, with cable shift mechanism and hydraulic clutch
Red9 Wishbone front suspension
Rear adjustable spring plates
Disk brakes all round with Red9 4-pot callipers and vented disks on front - servo assisted
Lite-Steer power steering...makes it so easy to park now!
Mk4 Golf dashboard and electrics, including cruise control
Full width rock'n'roll bed
All Things Timber bespoke oak units, centre console, under dash shelf, overhead locker and table
Bromsgrove Auto Trimmers faux leather upholstery and door cards
Porsche leather 'Tombstone' front seats - passenger has a swivel base
MCJ steering wheel and door handles
Continental style roof bed
150W solar panel on roof
240v/12v/solar automatic charge system with 100AH leisure battery
Planar diesel heater mounted underneath - fuelled from the main tank
12v Waeco CRX50 fridge/freezer
Smev 2 burner gas hob
Pioneer head unit with Vibe amp and speakers
Westy style towbar
SSP Cosmic alloys - the 2 rears have started to get lacquer peel now
Curtains all round

I have a full folder of receipts etc...spent far too much over the years!

This bus was built to be used and has taken us to Europe twice and all over the UK. As such there are now a few small bubbles coming through on the edges of the bodywork and the odd mark (including a small dent in the tailgate from a misjudged campsite reversing manoeuvre last year!), but this is purely cosmetic. The chassis and underneath is solid, with no advisories on the last MOT (it can be exempt but I have always had it done annually for piece of mind).

Historic vehicle, so free tax...always a bonus!

Please feel free to message me any questions.
Viewing essential...located in Congleton, Cheshire

IMG_6762.JPG

IMG_6761.JPG

IMG_6763.JPG

IMG_6767.JPG

IMG_6768.JPG

IMG_6769.JPG

IMG_6749.JPG

IMG_6752.JPG

IMG_6770.JPG

IMG_6753.JPG

IMG_6755.JPG

IMG_6743.JPG

IMG_6745.JPG

IMG_6748.JPG

Oops, appear to have missed price off!
£25,500 ovno

Cheers
Al

Hi Bundy,

I have a pair of Porche seats just like to ones in your (sold) bus. I can't see how to fit them. Did you strip the existing rails off the seats or what? I'd love to know how it was done. If I fitted mine with the Porche base I could not depress the clutch enough to operate it.

Grant

Hi Grant,
Mine were out of a Boxster...not sure if that makes a difference?!
The drivers seat kept the original Porsche frame and rails including height adjustment, but I removed the original bus rail fittings that are welded to the wheel tub. I then welded some spacers on to match the Porsche rails. It sat slightly higher than normal, but not enough to cause issues.
The passenger one had everything stripped off it to allow for a swivel base to be fitted.
Hope that helps?
I'll try to dig out some pics if you need...probably best pm'ing me
Cheers
Al

HI Al,
Sorry for the delay in responding, I've had a bad dose of whatever is going around, but not Covid. I'd love to see some pics of how you did the conversion. I'm not sure how to PM you.
Best regards,
Grant

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts